Sounds like a no from the USDA

McFarmer

Seems no release for planting:

Great news for the birds McFarmer! It would have been difficult (expensive) to bring those acres back into the program (establishing the native grasses and forbs) again....the result would have likley been those acres not returning to the program....especially if the commodity prices remain in the range they are currently.

I have been trying to peddle some grass hay. I talked to a prospective buyer and he told me CRP will be released this coming week. He is a level headed person not inclined to rumors.

Anyone else heard rumblings ?

I burned some bluestem and switch this spring that is in prime hay condition.

I was just thinking about this earlier today and thought I should call the local office and see what they knew about this.

They are opening up emergency haying in a few counties in southwest North Dakota I am told but not everyone qualified.

Good find McFarmer. It looks like most of the CRP between McFarmer and me could be eligible. I emailed a gal in the Cherokee office and she confirmed the same. The haying really ruins the parcel for any hunting and winter shelter for pheasants and the next spring, it will only provide nesting opportunities for late nesting birds. The fall after the haying we are missing the old understory grass that holds the birds, without that most flushes happen out of range in my experience.

I took some hay over to the sale barn. They have hay coming out their ears today. All of a sudden there are tons of grass hay coming in, most bales have switch and bluestem in them.

I wonder where that stuff is coming from ? Not supposed to be able to sell the CRP hay, at least that has always been prohibited. I know of no hay fields with warm season grasses around here.

I guess tomorrow we will see what the release of CRP will do to the hay market.

They maybe "gave it away' and now that party is selling it. How is the pasture ground up there? Even in this drought, the hay should make 3 decent cuttings....it just keeps growing.

I took some hay over to the sale barn. They have hay coming out their ears today. All of a sudden there are tons of grass hay coming in, most bales have switch and bluestem in them.

I wonder where that stuff is coming from ? Not supposed to be able to sell the CRP hay, at least that has always been prohibited. I know of no hay fields with warm season grasses around here.

I guess tomorrow we will see what the release of CRP will do to the hay market.
I guess no one checks up on that anymore. It's sold regularly in our part of the country and advertised even. It's really aggravating, if a guy needs it to get his herd through then fine, but double dipping and profiting off of baling habitat that is probably needed in that year, if it's that dry, is a problem.

Report back on the market if you would? Just curious what you're seeing, starting to see some steep prices around here.

Sold the hay today. Sold for $50/ton less than before the release of the CRP, at 5.5 tons/acre that kinda stinks.

They had a huge bunch of hay, much of it had native grass in it. Huh.

I’ve got a good size patch of CRP we burned this spring. Switch and bluestem in prime stage right now. Kinda tempting.

Back