Some Research on Lead Shot in Pheasant

Article by Jim Heffelfinger that lays out the lead issues pretty clearly. He's a smart fella who uses science, not an agenda, to cover the topic of lead ammo.
This seems a bit hogwash to me. "We know some species are dying but since it's not all species we are okay". If your cannery dies in a coal mine, that's your signal to leave, not say lets wait to see if other things die. Besides, there's very few locations where raptors are not located.

If its illegal, you shouldn't be doing it.
Ironically I don't really believe in this though. In general I don't follow laws that I don't believe in. Biggest examples speeding and underage drinking back in the day. Laws are there for the lowest common denominator and I think many have grey areas where you can operate safely. However, be prepared to pay the consequences if you do get caught, which means weigh the odds against the benefits.

As for the crippling. I think steel gets the confirmation bias. Any cripple from a steel shot is blamed on the steel vs any cripple with lead gets blamed on the shooter or shot distance.

Personally I wouldn't advocate for a law at this point, but I think we as hunters should be the first ones scrutinizing our methods and willing to change sooner than when there is a problem. Public land hunting is getting more and more crowded and will never decrease. Good place to change your habits to decrease strain on the environment in my opinion.

Back