Some Birds

BleuBijou

Well, I left the house at 6:30 this morning and headed back home at 11:30. I just saw 2 birds, but they both found themselves in my gamebag. Actually the second bird flushed after the first shot. But they were 10 feet away from me. Dogs just criss crossed each other and both hit the brakes and locked up. It was a 2 second point before the first bird figured he was had and busted out. I am in a ton of pain right now, but it may have been worth it. Walked 1 tiny piece of walk in and 2 large tracts. These were in the last tract and of course had to be at the far end. No great pic's, but I was happy to make it back to the truck at that point. I think Pepper felt the same as he jumped in the truck and layed down instantly. Was 63 degrees when I left the field.
IMG_0017_zps60b450af.jpg
IMG_0023_zps055521a0.jpg
:cheers:

look at you Bleu, hunting again. That's awesome! Don't over do it my friend, you'll phuck it up!
Good to see you up and around!:)

Nice to see you healthy again and schwacknen roosters! Can't keep a good man down.

Most of the pain in my ass and legs is gone. But I seem to seize up after a little walking and standing. At some point you just got to try and do the things you love to do. I am paying for it today as well. It may take a few days to get it calmed down, but it is better then sitting at home and having to look your dogs in the face everyday knowing that they deserve to be out there as well!:thumbsup:

Nice work on the roosters! Two better than me today. I hunted this afternoon a bit and could have had one bird my youngest GSP bumped on accident but didn't shoot and had one solid point on a hen in some wheat stubble. I only pushed two fields and decided to get out of the howling winds and scout some different regions on my way home. Found a couple worthy walk ins to try next time but also saw a lot of birdless country with hardly any cover for a sparrow to hide in.

Nice work Bleu! I've yet to make it out east, but will be going the week of Dec 1 to chase pheasants and deer. I can't wait.

Most of the pain in my ass and legs is gone. But I seem to seize up after a little walking and standing. At some point you just got to try and do the things you love to do. I am paying for it today as well. It may take a few days to get it calmed down, but it is better then sitting at home and having to look your dogs in the face everyday knowing that they deserve to be out there as well!:thumbsup:

Kind of know how you feel bleu. Was just starting to shoot birds over my 7 month old pup and now I find out the knee I had replaced 10 years ago is coming loose and is killing me with pain. Surgery is set for Dec. 23rd. I may have to suck it up one more time for his sake.

Nice Chad!! It had to be an awesome feeling to be out with the dog in the field.

I think we might head back out to KS in January for a late season hunt.

I am not much into chasing my tail around Colorado for pheasants these days. For me it is almost like chasing dusky grouse to an extent. And as you know, I have spent plenty of gas, shoe rubber, etc....in just about every pheasant county in this state and knocked on doors only to be told no and also was sent on the wild goose/pheasant chase/hunt when I went the one and only time to Yuma.:mad::rolleyes:

So, I spend my $$ in KS and go out to Steelforks or Blue Cliffs and get some good training on my young point lab. Lot more birds for guys in Colorado then ;)

Can't wait until next years grouse hunt :thumbsup:

Take care and Happy Turkey day....we will be frying/cooking up some pheasant Thursday....

Greg

It did feel good to be there for a while anyway!!lol I did manage not to find any Badger holes for the first time in a long time. Guessing my slow pace had a lot to do that. I finally got my script filled today and feeling much better. I had hunted this particular walk- in several years ago and flushed several hens. It was also the only one out of the 3 that I saw and found good tracks in before getting out of the truck. I hope I can get out again here in a soon. Thanks for the well wishes and nice comments everyone. It was sure nice to watch the dogs work again after the intial short field. They won't leave my side now again thinking there is a chance I might leave them behind somehow!! Both birds were young birds and had some pin feathers still, which is a good sign...:thumbsup:

Hey Bleu,

Great to hear that you've been able to get back out in the pheasant fields after your medical issues.
Tom

Back