So you want to hunt public land in South Dakota?

Love it. So let me explain. I was hunting federal national wildlife area in South Dakota. I parked on the road in a public road like we do any part of the state and walked into federal ground to hunt. When I came back to my truck a federal officer was waiting for me and said if I ever hunt federal land I can only enter and exit the land through a designated parking area and my truck has to be in that designated spot as well.
I would challenge him on that in a slit second!
You can only park on that land in a designated area..
No where does it say ..to the best of my knowledge..that you can’t enter that area on foot from any direction..
was the guy/women a actual federal warden or just a parks refuge type?

Actual federal warden. It got a little nasty when my dad was trying to ask him questions about where state and federal laws conflict with each other. My dad was trying to ask him if state law allows me to park on side of road and I’m hunting a ditch and decide to walk onto federal land and hunt what happens. The guy felt threatened and thank goodness he calmed down but he let us know he was a federal warden and could make our life miserable. Basically told us road hunting is not legal on a federal refuge and also doesn’t matter what state law is. You park in a designated spot and enter and exit from a designated spot.

I also hunt all public ground so I agree it's a good time and well worth the trip. However it does not compare to even a minimally managed private ground so that's part of where I would disagree. Basic upgrades like a shelter belt or a strip of milo or an undrained slough- those would be heaven to hunt but you rarely see those on public ground and they get hunted hard. Compare what the guys in the habitat forum on their own are doing vs what the government is doing with your taxes for the "hunters".
I wonder if you hunt multiple places in the state as I see Milo strips , wetlands, trees/shelterbelts in many places.

I have had numerous conversations with gf&p people about the value of food plots.
Many feel there is no need to provide grain fields for wildlife. I pointed out it helps to keep wildlife from destroying neighboring landowners crops. Reply I got was most neighboring landowners wish there was no wildlife.

I think I'm picking up what you're laying down, but I suspect it's unrealistic. Let me see if I'm getting at least some of it.

So sportsmen stop paying into gov't access programs, stop paying weird taxes, & stop buying habitat stamps & such. We use that money to buy land via conservation groups, so essentially we own it, manage it, & get to hunt it. Who's going to SELL his/her land??? There are enough people with serious, serious money looking to buy hunting ground, that I think most landowners who wanted to sell theirs would've done so by now. If the land were for sale, those seriously well-funded people would outbid me or some conservation group every single time. Those landowners don't want to sell. Instead they retain ownership, enroll it in the WIA or CREP program, as well as the flawed CRP program, and allow me to hunt it much of the time during the season.

So....in an effort to keep the government out of it, maybe my favorite conservation group should enter into a similar contract w/ the landowner. We'll essentially rent it, manage it, & hunt it, as long as it's not mowed, grazed, or otherwise made unhuntable. Oh....you mean like PF does? (I say that facetiously) The Habitat Organization hasn't gained me 1 square foot of hunting ground. They may have helped improve some, but they didn't gain me any. And I think that by now, if they could've made that type of arrangement work, they would've. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.
You live in Sioux Falls make it up all the way up to Brookings and I will show you pf land acquisitions.
Our group was working on a fantastic piece of land 2 years ago. PF can not own land and at that time the gf&p wouldn't buy land.
This last year we tried to buy another quarter of land. We expected it to cost us over a 100grand to own the land until gf&p would buy it. Buy it at less then 85% of appraised value. We would foot the bill for the difference.

You live in Sioux Falls make it up all the way up to Brookings and I will show you pf land acquisitions.
Our group was working on a fantastic piece of land 2 years ago. PF can not own land and at that time the gf&p wouldn't buy land.
This last year we tried to buy another quarter of land. We expected it to cost us over a 100grand to own the land until gf&p would buy it. Buy it at less then 85% of appraised value. We would foot the bill for the difference.
Oops, I stand corrected. Thanks. I know of Gideon GPA south on 77. East side of road. Are there others? And...so PF can't own land?

Last edited:
Actual federal warden. It got a little nasty when my dad was trying to ask him questions about where state and federal laws conflict with each other. My dad was trying to ask him if state law allows me to park on side of road and I’m hunting a ditch and decide to walk onto federal land and hunt what happens. The guy felt threatened and thank goodness he calmed down but he let us know he was a federal warden and could make our life miserable. Basically told us road hunting is not legal on a federal refuge and also doesn’t matter what state law is. You park in a designated spot and enter and exit from a designated spot.
Was this on Sand Lake Refuge?

I still think he was full of it..would Be more than happy to challenge that in court..
Have seen on more than one occasion..park or refuge type workers..try to pass themselves off as actual full time officers..
Hint! Will usually identify themselves with some thing like…federal officer…refuge officer ect.

Oops, I stand corrected. Thanks. I know of Gideon GPA south on 77. East side of road. Are there others? And...so PF can't own land?
West Oakwood and the Wakeman spot west of Lake Cambell. There is 1 more that slips my mind.

No PF bylaws say no land ownership.

There is a current attempt to buy 560 acres in the western part of the state that we are aware of.

West Oakwood and the Wakeman spot west of Lake Cambell. There is 1 more that slips my mind.
The guy who owned the entire West Oakwood GPA, prior to selling it in about 2000, was an old friend of mine. We'd hunt it a couple times a year. Used to have quite a few pheasants. I hunted it a few times after it become public, but haven't been on it in a long time. Neat place, especially since they filled in the blanks with WPA.

The guy who owned the entire West Oakwood GPA, prior to selling it in about 2000, was an old friend of mine. We'd hunt it a couple times a year. Used to have quite a few pheasants. I hunted it a few times after it become public, but haven't been on it in a long time. Neat place, especially since they filled in the blanks with WPA.
So why did you bad mouth PF ??????

So why did you bad mouth PF ??????
I didn't. Not intentionally anyway. In fact I went & added a clarification to my previous post.
"Addendum: Thanks to Weimdogman for pointing out that PF helps with land acquisitions, which are then made public per the North American Wildlife Conservation Model. What I meant in the paragraph above was that to my knowledge, PF hasn't gained me any land to hunt that WASN'T public, which PeteRevvv says basically leads to its ruin. I think if it were possible to acquire land & achieve "public" access without government ownership/incentive, PF would've figured out how to do it by now."

My family was offered a quarter section in the early 90s for $15k ($30k in 2022 dollars). It was marginal for corn at the price/bushel common then, we would have to pay taxes and weed maintenance plus any hunting improvements. We could have rented it out to hunters but we weren't local so that was tough to manage in pre-internet days. We passed. Local farmers that guided also passed since they used the land they already had. It stayed on the market for a couple years and then sold at discount.

Wasn't right for us at the time but now if we tried to buy, we have big competition pushing us or any private conservation group out of the market. Government takes our money and turns around and makes it viable for the private landowner to hang onto the land with CREP and CRP so the value is inflated. Government also empowers ethanol producers to make it viable to put corn on that marginal ground now so the value is inflated. Government might also buy it themselves for WIA programs with the new stamp money. All compete with us so that's why it costs Weimdogman's group 3x-4x to buy it now that these programs have been expanded. These programs and competition for land purchases would have to go away for private conservation to have any chance if marginal ground wasn't inflated by government interference.

A lot would change and free market factors would take over so assuming everything would be the same as it currently is lacking in foresight. PF might become a complete different thing if they owned 100,000 ac in SD and had 100k members paying annual dues of $50 which included hunting rights. New groups might be needed. Pull up to their land, join the group, hunt anywhere in SD they own. Americans are very good at forming co-ops like this that meet specific needs of people. Government gives you once size that fits none at low quality but is profitable for some small group that has captured them with payoffs. I can imagine better.

Maybe this has already been mentioned, but its seems like the majority of hunters on public land walk into a section the same way. The birds often become conditioned to this and any noise or threat sends them gone ahead of time. Obviously the wind is often a factor, but if you can approach it from a different direction than what everyone else is doing, that can throw them a curve ball. I often start doing this later in the season when I hunt on private land.
That is good advise.I will try that.

Did you find it informational or just a lot of what you already knew?
Both
The stuff that Carp from PF talked about was somewhat basic stuff but still a good listen.
The stuff I found interesting was how to read OnX maps better. What some of the colors and contrasts mean, etc
Also how to use different colored pins to drop on properties. Ive been doing that for a few years but they just do it a bit differently.
Im glad Im not the only one who forgets what all of my different color pins mean 🤪
And it looks like I only use 3 or 4.
58D260E2-EBDB-449E-AC8E-04FC5C8D3646.png

Last edited:
I don't understand half of what PeteRevvv posts. The numbers are as far off as Trumps.
How did you turn down land at 97.00 a acre or even less when it sold at a discount? That ground sells for 3800 a acre now on a bad day

As for A5 isn't this thread about hunting PUBLIC GROUND in South Dakota ?

I don't understand half of what PeteRevvv posts. The numbers are as far off as Trumps.
How did you turn down land at 97.00 a acre or even less when it sold at a discount? That ground sells for 3800 a acre now on a bad day

As for A5 isn't this thread about hunting PUBLIC GROUND in South Dakota ?
Right? $97/acre? Even if you're broke, how do you let that go? Obviously this thread started about public land. I think it took a slight detour when PeteRevvv suggested he knew how to turn public land into accessible private land. Or something like that. It's the beauty of conversation, especially online.

Back