Snow depths

rangerman

How many inches of snow in the Mitchell- Chamberlin area?

Would like to make another run after the first of the year. Imagine minimum maintenance roads impassable?

I hunted 15 miles East of Mitchell today and very little snow. Lots of ice but it was melting by the time we were done. I90 was still closed W of Mitchell as of 11 am but the snow line was still west of there I heard. Chamberlain had much more snow,

I was south of interstate between Mitchell and chamberlain and I was walking in 6-8 inches of snow. Edges are awful for getting in and out of a field as to drifts are up to your hips. I say this jokingly but it’s true if you have soccer shinguards you might think about wearing them because the top inch or two of the snow was hard so when I stepped I broke through and then the crusty part just hit my shins every time I stepped.

because the top inch or two of the snow was hard so when I stepped I broke through and then the crusty part just hit my shins every time I stepped.
Ugh. I know that feeling all too well :mad:

I will endure the pain for a while, but if the dogs' legs start to get cut up, I am usually done. Fortunately most of the time dogs are light enough not to break through.

I say this jokingly but it’s true if you have soccer shinguards you might think about wearing them because the top inch or two of the snow was hard so when I stepped I broke through and then the crusty part just hit my shins every time I stepped.

Not to mention the noise it makes. Those roosters here you coming a mile away when you're crunching through that crust.

Any chance or predictions that there will be a substantial melting of snow before the end of January? Sure would like to make another run there if minimum maintenance roads become drivable. Not a fan of walking on crunchy snow and seeing my dogs have the edges of their pads cut..

Any chance or predictions that there will be a substantial melting of snow before the end of January? Sure would like to make another run there if minimum maintenance roads become drivable. Not a fan of walking on crunchy snow and seeing my dogs have the edges of their pads cut..
Chance, for sure…1%? 50%? Who knows…I’m sure there are parts of SD now that would work…

I am not in SD, but what I am noticing is that trail and poorly graveled gravel roads look more like spring just after the ground has thawed out. Roads are very soft with trucks sinking in further than you may expect. I would assume some of the SD minimum maintenance roads will be similar if the weather moves and stays above freezing.

I am not in SD, but what I am noticing is that trail and poorly graveled gravel roads look more like spring just after the ground has thawed out. Roads are very soft with trucks sinking in further than you may expect. I would assume some of the SD minimum maintenance roads will be similar if the weather moves and stays above freezing.
I was in SD just prior to this system and many roads were soft and slimey almost like any frost that was in the ground was coming out like Spring.

I went north of Mitchell yesterday and there was a big difference between there and south of interstate. Hardly any snow up north of Mitchell compared to south. If you don’t want to deal with snow stay north. Got 5 yesterday. Ones we got held tight. Also like somebody said roads were awfully wet and soggy. Could feel your truck swerving in that stuff so be careful.

Hunted S of Michell today and there was about 4-6 inches of snow and ice. Very loud and not much fun to walk in for me or the dogs. Got a late start but by noon the sun had softened the icy top layer and dogs were getting into their groove. Seen more out of staters today than I did opening weekend but went into a large public piece I seen some senior gents leaving and hit a pocket with a good group of roosters. Hens are abundant everywhere but the roosters take some sorting and luck to get a shot at.

Back