Snow Depth

Magnum_WI

What is the Snow depth in Central/North East SD right now? Thinking of making a late season trip up there next week! Looks like there may be some on the way but just curious how much we will need to drudge through while hunting ;-)

We got a fair amount of snow Xmas eve in many areas you are mentioning. 4" nw of Sioux Falls. It's blowing a bit too. Huntable but be careful on the less traveled roads.

I was out today in the Watertown area and over into western Minnesota. On the average I'd say the snow depth is about 6+". Makes walking a lot tougher but not impossible. You will encounter some drifts on the edges of fields and cattails that can be a challenge to get through. If we get much more, especially with some wind, it could put an early end to the season.

If it is like MN, it is all over the place. If you go all the way to SoDak don't be afraid to drive some distance if the first area you intend to hunt is too snowy.

The fields in MN are blown bare, which means all this snow had to go somewhere. Ditches are full as are some public hunting areas. Drive 30 miles and the whole situation can be better or worse.

December has been cold and the snow remained light and fluffy until yesterday. With temps in the upper 30s and low 40s across MN and SoDak the snow became wet.

The snow will be come crunchy when the cold hits Sunday. :(

Walking in 6-10" of fluffy snow is rather easy compared to breaking through every step and the sound in makes as you traverse across crusty snow.

Pheasants on the other hand will be able to run, run, run on top of the crusted snow.

If it is like MN, it is all over the place. If you go all the way to SoDak don't be afraid to drive some distance if the first area you intend to hunt is too snowy.

The fields in MN are blown bare, which means all this snow had to go somewhere. Ditches are full as are some public hunting areas. Drive 30 miles and the whole situation can be better or worse.

December has been cold and the snow remained light and fluffy until yesterday. With temps in the upper 30s and low 40s across MN and SoDak the snow became wet.

The snow will be come crunchy when the cold hits Sunday. :(

Walking in 6-10" of fluffy snow is rather easy compared to breaking through every step and the sound in makes as you traverse across crusty snow.

Pheasants on the other hand will be able to run, run, run on top of the crusted snow.

Excellent points. We had 40 degrees here yesterday and the high today around 30 before the arctic blast hits. Suppose to be -17 tonight and high tomorrow of -6. I'm sure the melt yesterday took the snow depth down but like BRITTMAN said, this cold will put a nice crust on it and make walking all the more difficult. It also makes it very hard on the dog's feet. Those ice crystals are like little razor blades and can cut the feet especially the webbing between the toes. I'm afraid hunting is not going to be much fun the rest of the season.

Back