Snow cover in the Pheasant belt

They will just go to beans I predict for three reasons---price, a probable late spring and rotate after all that corn in the fields last year.

Past weekend

So the daughter drove to the old farmstead in NE SD this weekend. She was walking to the old pole barn that has round bales inside. She says she saw 5 pheasants fly out of the barn, one after another with about 5 seconds in between each bird. She said it was like someone was in there throwing them out one at a time. Oh and the snow report was very little left in the fields and where there were once snow drifts there is only one foot tall drifts remaining, OH and it is snowing there today....viking

29 March observations

Was back at the old farmstead this weekend, was very pleasantly surprised with the number of pheasants I saw. Birds were out in the disc'd corn fields chasing the geese around. The birds I saw were nice big and darn healthy, lack of food was not an issue this winter. Walked through the food plots prior to mowing them and there was a lot of seed still on the stocks, corn even had ears with kernals on them.

Had time to burn a few brush piles, pick up some trash and start working on rebuilding the corn planter prior to planting time.

Snow drifts on the north side of the tree belts are shrinking, some dry spots in the fields, other spots were greasy on top.

It started to snow Monday about mid day and there is now 2-3 inches on the ground.

Viking

Was back at the old farmstead this weekend, was very pleasantly surprised with the number of pheasants I saw. Birds were out in the disc'd corn fields chasing the geese around. The birds I saw were nice big and darn healthy, lack of food was not an issue this winter. Walked through the food plots prior to mowing them and there was a lot of seed still on the stocks, corn even had ears with kernals on them.

Had time to burn a few brush piles, pick up some trash and start working on rebuilding the corn planter prior to planting time.

Snow drifts on the north side of the tree belts are shrinking, some dry spots in the fields, other spots were greasy on top.

It started to snow Monday about mid day and there is now 2-3 inches on the ground.

Viking

Thanks for the update;) I think we'll see a decent breeding population this spring. Let's keep our fingers crossed for good to great nesting conditions coming up!

Last edited:
Back