Snow birds…

Weimdogman, I have a 5 1/2 yr old Weimeraner, and his feet do not allow him to hunt more than 1 solid day without booties, and then those tear the hair off his feet. Is this an issue with yours as well? Trying to determine if it is a breed thing, or something I am doing or not doing. He walks, runs (6-7 miles) at a time pre-season. Some on sidewalks, some on golf courses, some in fields. Help?
That is something that occurs in every breed. I have never had foot problems with any of my weims. Front of their ankles often are raw but doesn't slow them down any. And we do hunt some rough stuff.

I'm shocked you found someone that would voluntarily take a goose. I can't find homes for those nasty things anywhere other than the culvert.

Heck, if I offered a landowner some geese, he'd probably look at me like WTF and tell me to never come back lol

Reminds me of a story when I was younger. Dad ran into a farmer at the bar and asked if we could hunt one of his sloughs for ducks. Offered to give him some. The guy said we could hunt, but "if you bring me any gawddamm ducks that'll be the last time you ever get to hunt", lol

I make a lot of goose jerky.

Lesser Canada geese are fine table fare. Most puddle ducks are too.

That said, I do not know of a single ND farmer that would take a duck or goose except for their cats. Most don't know how to cook 'em I suppose.

Last edited:
You seriously throw them away? They don't got wantin waste laws where your from? Don't be that guy.
I haven't hunted them in years. Used to frequently in the early September season. I was always the one who gained permission to hunt the field and did all the scouting leg work. Whoever I invited to come with only had to abide by one rule: they HAD to take any geese we shot. I do not know what they did with them once they left my sight, and quite honestly I don't care either. They are not fit to eat in any way. They have been and are still over populated in many areas. They invade golf courses, lawns, and other urban areas without being controlled. The early and late goose season is a way to at least give hunters a chance at reducing local populations. If you can get on an active field they are using, they are a blast to hunt, but again, not edible.

They would probably work really well here as pothole filler since they are tough as nails and very abundant.

Jerky works. Friend of mine smokes honkers…really good! I don’t hunt geese any more…I want to be walking.
I hunt the Labor day season and any geese harvested i turn into jerky, only way to eat the northern michigan geese.

specks are very tasty…
The geese have shot in more ag based states are very good but northern areas with limited ag are not the greatest tasting other than jerky. Have only had one speck, but yes very good.

I dont understand why you guys are so down on the geese. I would trade phez meat for goose meat any day. Much more tender & imho, tastier too. Not as dry either

I dont understand why you guys are so down on the geese. I would trade phez meat for goose meat any day. Much more tender & imho, tastier too. Not as dry either
It takes time to learn how to cook geese. I may make a trip to Saskatchewan this fall.Its spectacular hunting, and good upland shooting.

2nd rule of hunting I was taught by my dad, if you’re not going to eat it, don’t shoot it.
Besides jerky, geese are pretty good either smoked and then made into fajitas or slow cooked in apple juice and then shredded and covered with bbq sauce.
Have a friend who was raised trapping and shooting. He has tried every predator or animal in our woods except Skunk. Only porcupine was the one he’d never eat again even if starving (he should know, he ate 3 growing up just to make sure the first 2 weren’t the exception) 😆

Back