snake prevention

Alaskan swamp collies

So I am thinking about trying a chukar hunt. Snakes worry me. Supposedly you can snake proof a dog. I've watched the videos and it seems to be basic E-collar work. Here's the rub. There are no snakes in Alaska and if I could legally(?) bring one in it would probably just lay there because of our cold temps. Is there such a critter made like a motorized snake, or mounted snake to work with? How hard is it to find snake clinics? I know that you can't train a behavior in one day, so would like to work on it over the summer. Bet no one else has ever asked this question.

Hi give me a call sometime I was opposed to doing it for years. But at a Professionally snake clinic it is virtually 100%. I believe now have seen testing and retest. 407-579-0851 Jim

Ditto what zeb said!!! Takes just a minute or two. but but but it is Not something to do your self. You could make an appt. your way to chukar country with a pro!

You can also consider the rattlesnake vaccine. Two shots a couple months apart. You will read pro/con on how effective it is or isn't. My vet has seen some pretty swollen up vaccinated dogs recover quickly and some that had only moderate reduction in recovery time/severity. Reportedly only works on western diamondbacks. Lesser results on other various rattlers.

My dogs get vaccinated. Treating a true envenomated rattler bite can be REALLY expensive. I figure the $25/year I pay is cheap insurance.

So I am thinking about trying a chukar hunt. Snakes worry me. Supposedly you can snake proof a dog. I've watched the videos and it seems to be basic E-collar work. Here's the rub. There are no snakes in Alaska and if I could legally(?) bring one in it would probably just lay there because of our cold temps. Is there such a critter made like a motorized snake, or mounted snake to work with? How hard is it to find snake clinics? I know that you can't train a behavior in one day, so would like to work on it over the summer. Bet no one else has ever asked this question.

After moving to AZ. For winters:

Had my dogs vaccinated—
Attended a de-snaking clinic/training-with live rattlers-very easy and quite basic avoidance training—followed up a couple weeks later and both of mine winded hidden snake from yards away and backed off at scent-and wanted no part of it

A fake rubber ect snake will only teach you dogs to avoid rubber/fake snakes

I’m now waiting for fire department in my development -who handle snake issues- to get me one so I can reinforce on my oun dogs -and I will put on a desnaking clicnic/clinics -for others interested-

As someone else mentioned—only problem is getting the Snake-
As far as the vaccine-I was lead to believe it mainly-offered you some extra time to get professional treatment JMO

Back