Smith & Wesson Model 915 9mm

Dakotazeb

Anyone have one of these or experience with one? A friend of mine can pick up one for me that is LNIB for $300. I told him to do it. From what I've read about them on the web they are a solid pistol.

George,

I have fired this pistol at the local indoor range. I was not impressed with it, which shocked me, I am a big fan of S&W pistols. I have owned many, Since I got into Kimber custom shop 45's, I don't own any S&W. They are that much better. I would not own a 9mm, Not enough stopping power, Thats.. from my experience. If your just buying it for target shooting than its fine. Ask Jmc He is a kimber fan all so......:thumbsup:

Yeah, but for the money I don't know how a guy can go wrong. It's not something I'll be putting thousands of rounds through. I have a little Keltec 9mm now that I want to get rid of so I thought I'd replace it with the 915.

That's not a bad deal for a 915. If you want a S&W that's better for not a lot more, you might look around for a used M&P. If your Kel-Tec is a PF9 or P11, the 915 will be a softer shooter.

Jmac---believe it or not, I've sold all my Kimbers. I'm down to 12 1911's...:)

That's not a bad deal for a 915. If you want a S&W that's better for not a lot more, you might look around for a used M&P. If your Kel-Tec is a PF9 or P11, the 915 will be a softer shooter.

Jmac---believe it or not, I've sold all my Kimbers. I'm down to 12 1911's...:)

I'm not sure what to do. I might pass on the S&W 915. For another $100 I can get a Springfield XD Service 9mm. I had a Springfield before and really liked it. Still kickin' myself for selling it. I prefer the Springfield over the S&W M&P, or Glock because it has a thinner grip that fits my smaller hands better.

I agree the XD is much better than a 915. I like and have had them all. My non-1911 guns are Glocks but I have big paws. Try the new Generation 4 Glocks; the stock grip is much smaller and comes with snap on panels to change the size. Also comes with or without a beavertail...aka 1911.

I have a buddy that has two Springfield XDM's for sale. Both are the 5.5 models: one in a 40 and one is a 45; new in the box at $550. They are a long barrel and known for accuracy. Not a conceal carry piece. Are you going to conceal carry or just looking for a new toy?

I bought the Keltec PF9 to possibly CC but I never have. So thought I'd dump it get a better shooter. I've only fired a few rounds through the Keltec so if anyone is interested, let me know. It's the smallest single stack 9mm out there.

9 mm Will Work

Don't be afraid to go with a 9mm. It will have plenty of power IF you use the best modern ammo. An example would be Speer Gold Dot Plus P. Ball ammo is fine for targets. The new 4th Generation Glocks are very good and have a thinner grip. For that money, the Smith 915 should be fine. Try it out first if you can to make sure it works well.

MG :D

I'd get it if that's what you want; not a bad price. XD's are better imho as are Glocks (I just don't like the grip angle on Glocks, tho they are excellent handguns.). As for 9mm, it depends on what you want it for. Granted, 9mm isn't as potent as .40 or .45 but the 9 beats bare hands if you need to defend yourself. My favorite carry piece is a SS Walther PPK/S in .380 . . . extremely accurate at self-defense range (a natural pointer & the fixed barrel aids accuracy <no guide rod>.) & easily concealable. My most accurate semi-auto is a polished SS CZ75B 9mm that I converted to single action only, polished the internals, swapped the trigger & put a kit in the sear assembly. I carry this fishing and it is a joy to shoot, capable of far greater accuracy than I am any more, and it is downright gorgeous. My 1911's tend to only see range time now.

Last edited:
George, don't be afraid of a 9mm. Military forces been using them for 70-80 years or more. Human's aren't cape buffalo's. Ask anybody, if shot at by a 22 rimfire if they would turn tail or say, it's just a 22. near 100% will say..I'm otta here. The 9MM is a great round that is easy to shoot and is very reliable in most guns. The fatter and shorter the case, the more issues a gun will have. I have a 92 Beretta and it is my go to gun for nearly all defense needed situation. Reliable as the sun and more rounds at ones disposal.

:thumbsup:

Decision has been made. I'm going to get a Springfield XD Service in 9mm. I can pick up a new one on GunBroker with case and all the stuff that normally comes with it for under 4 bills. I think that's as good a gun as you can buy for that kind of money, plus I know that gun fits me well.

Good call...wise decision! Now you need another Harley...&#55357;&#56836;

Nothing wrong with that choice; congrats!

Good decision George.

My son has a XD compact in 9mm. He loves it. :10sign:

I got the Springfield XD today. Man, what smooth and fast transaction. The XD came from Simmons Sporting Goods in Alabama. The GunBroker auction closed Tuesday evening. I had my FFL email them a copy on Wednesday morning. I also called them and paid with a credit card (no extra charge) that same morning. They shipped it out the same day via UPS 2 Day Air and it arrived at my FFL at 9:00 this morning.

I probably won't get out to shoot the XD until Monday, but it sure feels good in my hands.

Going to buy a paddle holster for open carry. Trying to decide between the Blackhawk Serpa or the IMI Defense Roto Retention holster. Any suggestions?

I just bought a Bianchi Shadow 7 belt holster for my Walther PPK/S (I don't like paddles). 3 slots & a thumb break retention strap; you can wear it either strong-side high-ride or cross-draw (my preference when in a vehicle.). Bought it from Midway, shipping was quick, & I love the thing. I also use a Bianchi IWB when I'm wearing shorts & a tank top. Good luck with your quest.

I got the new Springfield XD 9mm out today and ran a few rounds through it. What a sweet shooting pistol. I couldn't be happier. After a few rounds to getting use to the gun, trigger, etc. I fired 8 rounds from 10 yards and put them in a 4.5" circle. I haven't shot a pistol much and then to take a new gun the first time out and get those kind of results I was quite impressed. It should only get better as me and the XD bond.

Back