Slow learning lab

rugardave

I have a 4 yr.old lab that was frightened back when he was 1 because he and I got seperated while hunting. At that time he was not introduced to birds, guns or the fields. Some one found him and tied him to my bumper and he was shell shocked. He was never the same. I've shot 500 rds. of blanks over him, play fetched w/ dead quail and pheasant, he retreives to the whistle, swims and fetches like a bandit. I've have shot planted birds over him at this age 4, just recently to see what would happen and the he returned 3 or the 4 right to me. We lost the 4th. Now here is the dilemma, he won't leave my side. He may range when interested but is right back within seconds. It seems that when he realizes i'm not there he runs back for reassurance. How do I correct this so he's back to the way he was when he was 1, rangeing, quaartering and casting? Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Dave

I would start by never firing blanks or other non-hunting shots over him again. Then I would try to rebuild his confidence by non-hunting field walks for six months without any gunshots to see if he will start to leave your side. You might sit him, walk some distance away, circle him, all in sight, and then call him over. If you yourself are able to run in the field, that will often excite a dog and get him to run out front.

Last edited:
slow learning lab

he runs, ranges and explores just the way you would want your flusher to act EXCEPT!!!!! during the hunting procedure. I live very close to Lake Michigan and there are forest preserves and beaches to run the dog on, plently of room. I have taken blank pistols numerous times down there with dummies, thown the dummies and fired the gun without any visible effect. It seems to be only in the hunting situation. I'll try new stuff and keep you posted, thanks for your concern.

Dave

This may sound dumb but maybe try wearing a bell. Then when you are moving he can still hear you and may feel more comfortable going out in front.

Definitely a confidence issue. If he's not affected negatively by the blanks being fired over him and he's doing good with pen raised birds, then I would think that he's just freaked out by the new territory when you hit the unfamiliar fields for hunting. I would try to expose this dog to as much new country as possible, with varying terrain, and encourage him every step of the way. Dogs are pack animals and yours sees you as the leader of the pack and is being submissive to you by following closely so he doesn't lose you. So instead of just hunting when you're in the field, you might try playing fetch, starting close in, where he can see you the whole time, to longer play where you drop his ball or toy into a depression where he has to lose sight of you for a few seconds while he searches for the blind retrieve. Encourage and praise, time and patience! If you make it a game and the dog finds you everytime he emerges with his toy, he's going to build the confidence to range a little more.

Definitely a confidence issue. If he's not affected negatively by the blanks being fired over him and he's doing good with pen raised birds, then I would think that he's just freaked out by the new territory when you hit the unfamiliar fields for hunting. I would try to expose this dog to as much new country as possible, with varying terrain, and encourage him every step of the way. Dogs are pack animals and yours sees you as the leader of the pack and is being submissive to you by following closely so he doesn't lose you. So instead of just hunting when you're in the field, you might try playing fetch, starting close in, where he can see you the whole time, to longer play where you drop his ball or toy into a depression where he has to lose sight of you for a few seconds while he searches for the blind retrieve. Encourage and praise, time and patience! If you make it a game and the dog finds you everytime he emerges with his toy, he's going to build the confidence to range a little more.

Use live birds. The dog needs the exciting thrill of live birds sometimes to make the brake, between your contant attention and the lure of real game.
Eventually, shooting is just an addition to the "live game sequence". Live game keeps the game interesting and more vitale for the dog. A lot of dogs can't into "practice", respond with the game on. Not just a routine dummy, but a new game. By the way, we have demonstrated that he can ignore a command for a dummy, make sure he can't do that again, with dead birds, or you have serious problem, one that may make you go back to force fetching, and an unpleasant task.

This may sound dumb but maybe try wearing a bell. Then when you are moving he can still hear you and may feel more comfortable going out in front.

Excellent idea.

david0311

JMO--believe it would be money well spent to get with a pro to evaluate this situation--hard to tell by post--you have some very good trainers
in your part of the country--something happened to that dog while he was lost,advice received here is just speculation--including mine, and may not be that great--good luck--

I have a 4 yr.old lab that was frightened back when he was 1 because he and I got seperated while hunting. At that time he was not introduced to birds, guns or the fields. Some one found him and tied him to my bumper and he was shell shocked. He was never the same. I've shot 500 rds. of blanks over him, play fetched w/ dead quail and pheasant, he retreives to the whistle, swims and fetches like a bandit. I've have shot planted birds over him at this age 4, just recently to see what would happen and the he returned 3 or the 4 right to me. We lost the 4th. Now here is the dilemma, he won't leave my side. He may range when interested but is right back within seconds. It seems that when he realizes i'm not there he runs back for reassurance. How do I correct this so he's back to the way he was when he was 1, rangeing, quaartering and casting? Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Dave

Just a thought but have you tried hunting him with another dog. He may start to pick up some confidence once he see's that the other dog doesn't just stay by your side while hunting.

If you don't have another dog to help out with the situation, may a friend who has one can help.

Back