Skunks

My dogs haven't gotten into any and I'm not sure about remedies. Just thought I would throw out the fact that I have heard news reports that rabies continues to increase everywhere. I recently heard a report about rabies infecting bats and that their bites are not always obvious. As for skunks there have been three confirmed rabid skunks turned into the state of Wyoming in the past couple of months. Skunks hibernate but will wake and move if temperature warm up mid winter. Stay current on Vaccinations.

2 quarts hydrogen peroxide, 1/3 cup baking soda and 1 tablespoon of dish soap. Mix the first two ingredients well then add the soap and mix in. You have to use the mixture within about ten minutes of combining the ingredients. The foaming action is oxidation and that breaks down the odour in the hair. I have a lab/shepherd cross that does not like small animals, and I have found the remains of two skunks but he has been sprayed more than that. :eek: You leave the mixture on for a few minutes then rinse off. I found the hardest part was the dogs head for two reasons, the hair is short and I worry about getting it in his eyes. You may have to put up with a little odour if the dog gets wet after but overall it does a very good job.

Last year I saw a lot of skunks out and about. Woke one up while mowing my lawn, finally saw it about 20 feet away.
I knelt down, and called to it like it was a cat. The skunk took off! I've done this a couple times, and every time, the skunk will run away, but won't spray.

Freaked out the neighbors watching me make kissy noises to a skunk!

Over the years, my dogs have all been sprayed, this year both dogs got it at the same time.:eek: The peroxide, baking soda, Dawn dishsoap mix works great, but you will still smell skunk weeks later when they get wet.

I used the peroxide fomula too. worked on everything but the shock collar. I'd been looking for a reason to get rid of that collar anyway.

My dog got skunked earlier this year. I tried the fabled tomato bath with no luck. I saw the peroxide mixtures but have not tried. I just kept him outside during the day and brought him in during the night. The smell was strong for about a week and then started to fade. Good luck! I know these guys in here probably have something that will work better than what I used!

The spray killer

I have unfortunately had to use this recipe a couple of times and had great luck with it. After the spraying I immediatley clean the eyes out. I dont care it has to be done very quickly! Then I build a pretty big wood fire,,,I have used oak, elm, cedar, hickory,,,ect. I really think that it doesnt matter. After the fire burns out I soak down the dog with warm water and with the ashes from the burned wood (which is really an activated charcol)start rubbing it in and just leave it goooooooed onto them. Rinse off and repeat. I usually have enough to repeat for about 2-3 good times. I then give them a soap bath with dawn dishwashing liquid. A real mess but it works. Know understand this that it will not completely rid them of any odor but will come pretty darn close! Then I head to the garage and strip and make it to the down stairs shower so that my wife will let me in the rest of the house.

My dog got it last year. I tried the peroxide and baking soda thing. It worked OK but the dog still stunk. I had to wash him multiple times to get any result. I like the charcoal idea.

Peroxide concoction :thumbsup:

Make sure you use up the entire mixture and leave final app on for 10 minutes before rinsing throughly. I will follow that up with a regular shampoo and that gets 95% of it for me.

I didn't have the misfortune of getting sprayed this year. But past couple of years I've had to deal with it. The Peroxide formula works pretty good. I don't think anything will totally remove the smell. Last year I ran across a product called Scoe10X. I found it to work quite well and it's easy to use. Mix it up in a 1 quart spray bottle and spray on the dog. I carry a bottle with me all season. Only problem is that the shelf life, mixed or unmixed, is only 2 years. It needs to be mixed with luke warm water to activate the formula.

Here's their web site: http://www.scoe10x.com/Scripts/default.asp

Dakota, I visited the link you provided and saw they had a video clip of their dead skunk test. VERY ENTERTAINING...:eek: I just can't for the life of me figure out how that poor gentlemen didn't pass out during the test? :D

Anything is possible in a video! :)

While I don't think the stuff works as good as in the video it does work fairly well. Last year I was out with a couple of friends. One of the guys has a shorthair and he got into two skunks within 30 minutes. My Brittany got a little on her from the second one just from passing through the weeds close by. When we got back to the vehicles I sprayed my Britt where I thought she had some residual skunk odor and it took it totally away. We then used it on the shorthair. He was stinking pretty bad. It didn't take it all out but at least made him tolerable for the ride home. A week or so later another buddy's Small Munsterlander grapped a skunk and killed it but got sprayed in the process. We used the Scoe 10X on her and again it didn't totally take away the smell but it sure made a big difference. At least it helps make the ride home better. And it's handy to use.

Interesting to find out, I may have to get some.

Does it work at least as well as the peroxide?

ONe plus if it does is you can pre-mix it in a spray bottle and keep it on hand as apposed to the peroxide that you have to mix up just prior to use.

No rinsing I take it?

I think it compares with the Peroxide. But understand, the application process is totally difference. With the Peroxide you are actually bathing (soaking) the dog. With the Scoe 10X you are spraying it on so it's going to be more difficult to get it down to the skin. I would advise carrying some disposable latex gloves to use to work it in.

The big benefit is that it's easier to use in the field than the Peroxide. I do just as you suggested. I mix up a bottle and carry it in my vehicle.

I would like someone else to try the stuff and give an another opinion.

I hope I never have to use it again. :)

I was unlucky enough to have to use the peroxide/baking soda/Dawn mix 3 times this year. I works OK, but every time he gets wet I can smell skunk again for at least 3 weeks after.

Where I hunt in S.D we had a gal called "the skunk lady" The dog, $20 bucks, come back in an hr, problem solved. Unfortunately she expired !!

I have had many dogs get skunked over the years and tried many different concoctions to rid the dog of the smell. This might sound crazy but mud works better than anything. I always keep a shovel and a bucket in my truck and if a dog gets skunked you could grab some dirt and make a slurry in the bucket to coat the dogs fur with. Let the mud dry and stay on the dog as long as you can. As the mud dries it will absorb the oils from the skunk. Give it a try! It beats trying to make the peroxide concoction and you can make mud anywhere as long as you have some water,

I have had many dogs get skunked over the years and tried many different concoctions to rid the dog of the smell. This might sound crazy but mud works better than anything. I always keep a shovel and a bucket in my truck and if a dog gets skunked you could grab some dirt and make a slurry in the bucket to coat the dogs fur with. Let the mud dry and stay on the dog as long as you can. As the mud dries it will absorb the oils from the skunk. Give it a try! It beats trying to make the peroxide concoction and you can make mud anywhere as long as you have some water,
I've had dogs sprayed a few times, one more than others. He got it one time really well, foaming at the mouth, sneezing. He looked and smelled like hell. I took him around the corner and swam him in a dirty pond for about a half an hr. I left him outside after that for about a week and the rest of it wore off on its own

4 years ago my black lab female was sprayed on Saturday morning. We hunted the rest of that day, Sunday and Monday. She slept in the motel Monday night, she had rubbed it all off in three days of hunting.

Last edited:
Back