Sku-hunked in MO

southernblues

"fescue capital of the world" - great weather (had rained the night before), small breeze, 40-50 degrees. Covered the same ground we did last yr where we had kicked up 3 coveys. While 3 coveys was small, we thought we'd kick up a bird...notta.

Good exercise for the dogs, getting them tuned up for KS next week.

The biggest battle with the area I was in (Versailles) was all the fescue. Big cattle area and fescue is around the ponds, field edges, waterways, pastures, etc. Broods will never have a chance.

"fescue capital of the world" - great weather (had rained the night before), small breeze, 40-50 degrees. Covered the same ground we did last yr where we had kicked up 3 coveys. While 3 coveys was small, we thought we'd kick up a bird...notta.

Good exercise for the dogs, getting them tuned up for KS next week.

The biggest battle with the area I was in (Versailles) was all the fescue. Big cattle area and fescue is around the ponds, field edges, waterways, pastures, etc. Broods will never have a chance.

Fescue!!!! Darn near impossible to kill. I think you could drawn a direct timeline to show the beginning of the fescue plantings and the demise of quail. Used to be 40 years ago all those pastures around Versailles were pasture low grow lespedeza, with some native grasses. That's why we had quail. Now we get the memory and a long slow reclamation project, if it's even possible to acheive. I have my doubts. Eastern Kansas going that way too, as the fescue monaculture spreads incrementally westward.

same thing here blues i hunted core land in clinton all day saturday and saw one covey of birds i know theres birds there i just think need really colder weather to get them closer to the grain more predictable but like you said exercise the the dogs

Back