Sioux Falls baseball team

birdman652001

Sioux Falls, SD baseball team changes their name.

SIOUX FALLS, SD - Sioux Falls minor league baseball is getting a facelift. Rather than the Canaries, the city's American Association Franchise will now be known as the Sioux Falls Pheasants.

Sioux Falls Sports, LLC, which purchased the franchise in December, made the announcement Wednesday afternoon.

KELOLAND Sports Director Jay Elsen is at the announcement. Look for more on the changes on KELOLAND News at 5 and 6, as well as on KELOLAND.com.

thats awesome. i have no idea why Sioux Falls decided to come up with SF Canaries for.

should see the pic of the bird! thats one mean pheasant!

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=96693

It's a Des Moines hockey team...their logo is a "vicious boar’s head" it looks like a squealing pig. These new teams come up with some terrible names.

Pheasants was the name of the minor league team in Aberdeen, SD back in the 60's. The were part of the Orioles farm system. Cal Ripken, Sr. was there along with Jim Palmer and others. The brought in a semi-pro team again in the 90's and also called them the Pheasants but the team only lasted a few years.

I like the Pheasants better than the Canaries.

Sioux Falls had a team in the old affiliated (as opposed to the reincarnated independent league by the same name) Northern League by the name of the Canaries. When the Northern was reincarnated, many of the traditional Northern League cities fielded teams by their traditional names.

I was remodeling a house when I lived in Harrisburg and found an Argus Leader rolled up under a window sash. It was from the '50's and the sports section was heavy with Northern League news.

The Pheasant name is probably a better fit, but the team in Sioux Falls has never drawn well. I think the unaffiliated Minor League baseball love affair will probably dwindle in the next 5 or 10 years. Hopefully for Sioux Falls, the team will have paid off the remodel of Sioux Falls stadium.

Back