Single Shot Franchi Instinct SL

Plannerman

New to the over-under shotgun world. Purchased a Franchi SL Instinct 20 gauge which feels great in the hand and fit. Problem is second barrel won't fire without resetting the safety to fire. Can't possibly be this difficult to operate or no sane person would purchase or use. Am I doing something wrong or do I have a mechanical issue?

The corporate lawyers may have gotten into the engineering discussions. They're just goofy enough for something like that.

(Looked up the gun,only found this regarding the safety:

Auto Safety
The tang-mounted safety automatically resets ot the "On" position when the action is opened.)

Last edited:
That's odd. You're saying that the safety resets itself to safe after the shot without breaking the gun open? I've got a couple with auto safety's, and they reset when you break the gun open. I don't know if they are inertia or mechanical. I have one with inertia triggers that will quit switching after a few hundred rounds. I have to remove the buttstock and blow everything out with solvent, but that doesn't sound like the same issue.

Literally shoots only 1 barrel and trigger is dead for second shot. Eject, resets triggers, but again only shoots 1 barrel. Can select between but still a stacked single shot.🤔

Probably an inertia trigger, block not moving over to other barrel. Take apart, clean and lube lightly. Take your time, don’t force anything. Otherwise might need a gunsmith to fine tune. Is the gun new? Recently operating correctly?

Does it matter which barrel you shoot first? If it works by firing the other barrel first you can shoot it that way until you want
to take the time to send it in for warranty--assuming you bought it new.

I had a Browning Cynergy that would do that with hot loads. Not every time, but often enough that it cost me shots at birds. I had a reputable gunsmith look it over, and he found nothing wrong. It would shoot 1 1/4 oz loads at 1330 fps, all day long. Anything hotter than that and it would malfunction every fourth of fifth time.

Probably an inertia trigger, block not moving over to other barrel. Take apart, clean and lube lightly. Take your time, don’t force anything. Otherwise might need a gunsmith to fine tune. Is the gun new? Recently operating correctly?
I'm with wind river. Inertia trigger not moving over. Send it back if it's new. If it's used, take the barrels off, remove the butt bad and the buttstock. That's as far as you'll have to go. Clean it with solvent. Don't over tighten the buttstock screw.

Did some internet research. This guy says it is the auto safety function activating due to recoil of first shot. Might be something to look into. The auto safety can be disabled. (Which I would do immediately anyway)

“Unforetunately with heavy loads the auto-safety feature is activated when the first barrel is fired, due to inertial, thus disabling the second shot.”

Starting to see some of the same info posted online. Guess it's time to play doctor. Thanks to all for the info and suggestions. Happy New Year!

Back