Side Oats Grama

mnmthunting

Banned
Anybody plant this?
I established a 5 acre warm season grass patch. It's been 4 years and looks very good. Big Blue Stem wasn't planted but is showing up. The Switch Grass is working out well. Deer and Turkeys dig after the Buffalo grass, it stays nutritious all Winter. I really like the Side Oats Grama. Grows about 2 feet tall and stands well in the snow, lots of seed that the wildlife seem to really like and it's a bunch grass with plenty of nutritious leaves.
A trail cam pic.

mail

Last edited:
Anybody plant this?
I established a 5 acre warm season grass patch. It's been 4 years and looks very good. Big Blue Stem wasn't planted but is showing up. The Switch Grass is working out well. Deer and Turkeys dig after the Buffalo grass, it stays nutritious all Winter. I really like the Side Oats Grama. Grows about 2 feet tall and stands well in the snow, lots of seed that the wildlife seem to really like and it's a bunch grass with plenty of nutritious leaves.

MNMT, I had some coming into my CRP wild and looked good so I know substitute this into my warm season grass mix in place of Western Wheat which doesn't play well with Plateau herbicide. 70 acres going in this spring.

It is a normal component of mixtures in Kansas. It does well on the more xeric sites and fills the void where the less drought tolerant species do as well. If you happen to plant your site in a drought year, it will often dominate the stand. I've shot a lot of roosters out of it.

Wouldn't it be nice if all CRP acres would be planted in warm season grasses.:thumbsup:

Back