side by sides

pheasantaddict

Some new side by sides in the US market. One made by Dickinson and two by Webley and Scott. Anyone have any experience with these guns?

The Dickinson sure looks like a fine piece, especially the 16ga on a 20ga frame. I would definitely be interested in one of these.

IIRC both are made in Turkey, not that that is a bad thing, I've seen some very nice Turkish guns and owned a few that were super sub gauges!:)
DT

Never owned a Dickinson(old S&W Gold) but they look like a nice piece for the price. Would like to see afew more with the satin finish vs gloss.

The Dickinson and Webley Scott are both made by AKUS from Turkey as was the S&W Gold Elite. I have a Gold, an older 12b and a newer 16b with choke tubes. They are nice guns but the 16b on a 20b frame weighs more than the 12b.
The W&S's are waaaay over priced in my opinion. Cabela's has the Dickinson's and has them on sale for $200 once in a while.
Check out the shotgunworld.com site under the "I love Huglu's" for more info.

Yes, you are correct! I meant to say $200 off.

Sorry for the confusion.

W&S

Which model W&S are you referring to? I have a 712 I bought NIB last year that is made in Italy by Fausti.

I like the wood, the fit and finish is nice, locks up tight, has 3" chambers and adjustable chokes. I've never seen the Turkish ones but I like mine. Killed everything I pointed it at and carries nice. I think for the price point it's a good gun.

Hobie

The model 900 W&S is a boxlock SXS made by AKUS in Turkey and re-branded for W&S. I believe their model 3000 is the sidelock SXS version.
I have seen both and can say they remind me a lot of the Dickinson's. I have never had my hands on the W&S O/U but have been told the O/U model equal to the model 900 SXS is also made in Turkey by AKUS. I don't know the model number.
I am still a fan of AYA, Ugartechea, Grulla and other Spanish SXS's but for the money, I think the Dickinson's are very hard to beat. They fill a price point where no one else is marketing anything of that quality.

AM

Hobie

The model 900 W&S is a boxlock SXS made by AKUS in Turkey and re-branded for W&S. I believe their model 3000 is the sidelock SXS version.
I have seen both and can say they remind me a lot of the Dickinson's. I have never had my hands on the W&S O/U but have been told the O/U model equal to the model 900 SXS is also made in Turkey by AKUS. I don't know the model number.
I am still a fan of AYA, Ugartechea, Grulla and other Spanish SXS's but for the money, I think the Dickinson's are very hard to beat. They fill a price point where no one else is marketing anything of that quality.

AM

Well said.
I have a Grulla, 2 Uggies, an AYA and an AMERICAN ARMS DERBY,AKA ZABALLA. Dickinson appears a bit better than many of the Uggies. I carry my 16ga Uggie about 50% of the time. Not fancy but well balanced and kills for me. The AYA is a #2 16 RB and does not see much daylite. I have a Franchi 20 that has never been shot, just because the wood is too gorgeous and I use the Derby when I don't want the 16. The Derby has shot over 1,000 birds and I have only replaced one firing pin. The safety is still stiff and it is a cheap sidelock, but carrys sweet and gets the job done. Grulla is 50 years old and retired----beat up but my first sxs. I shot everything with it for 37 years. SXS s rule!

Uncle Buck

I would agree the Dickinson's are better than the grade I Uggies. My favorite SxS is a Merkel 1620. I like that gun a lot. I have an AA Derby but mine is a Saraguite (sp) not a Zabala but I looked at a nice 20b Zabala Derby the other day that I would be proud to own. My Grulla is a 209 H 20b but it is 7 lbs. way to heavy for me to carry all day when I have lighter guns in the safe

I've been shooting SxS's for years, I can't even remember the last time that I carried anything else. I mostly upland bird hunt buy my wife likes to duck hunt. That is how I got the Dickinson 12b, I wanted a sxS that I could shoot steel out of and I found one on sale.

I've been holding out, trying to find a light English 12b with a 2 1/2" chamber for hunting pheasants but haven't found anything that I think I can afford.

Looking is part of the fun!!

Good luck on the upcoming season, I'm going to try to get away for some dove hunting this weekend.

AM

Uncle Buck

I would agree the Dickinson's are better than the grade I Uggies. My favorite SxS is a Merkel 1620. I like that gun a lot. I have an AA Derby but mine is a Saraguite (sp) not a Zabala but I looked at a nice 20b Zabala Derby the other day that I would be proud to own. My Grulla is a 209 H 20b but it is 7 lbs. way to heavy for me to carry all day when I have lighter guns in the safe

I've been shooting SxS's for years, I can't even remember the last time that I carried anything else. I mostly upland bird hunt buy my wife likes to duck hunt. That is how I got the Dickinson 12b, I wanted a sxS that I could shoot steel out of and I found one on sale.

I've been holding out, trying to find a light English 12b with a 2 1/2" chamber for hunting pheasants but haven't found anything that I think I can afford.

Looking is part of the fun!!

Good luck on the upcoming season, I'm going to try to get away for some dove hunting this weekend.

AM

I wish I'd quit seeing mention of the Merkel 1620. Everytime I do I find myself on gunbroker. Last week Michael Murphy and Sons in Augusta, Kansas had one listed, but it was a 1620c which is not only 16 guage, but also has a set of barrels in 20 guage to go with it. Drool, drool.

Somewhat kicking myself from a trip to Cabela's last fall. They had a rack of the Dickinson's, some 12, some 20. Some were $900, some were $1000, depending on how many speckles of rust you were willing to wipe off with 0000 Steel wool and oil. Kind of wish I'd have bought one of the $900 ones in 20 guage.

My Grulla is a #209 also. 1963 vintage I do not think it is as heavy as yours.

Interesting on the Derby. I knew Sarsqueta and Zabala both made them. I suspect the Sarsqueta is better made. I have dark wood with some decent accents and an oil finish. Was case hardened, but the receiver is pretty much coin after carring so much. I have only seen a couple of others and they had light wood, high gloss. I paid $250 new for mine in the early '90s when I had an FFL. Wish I had bought a couple more and put them under the bed.

My Merkle is the 1620C with the 20b barrels. When I bought mine I thought this would be the greatest thing since sliced bread and I became fixated with them. I was sure if I just had one world peace would ensue, world hunger would end, I would never miss another shot and I would be better looking too!!!
Now, six years later I have never even put the 20b barrels on the action. The case hardening on the action is worn off from being carried and I have killed at least a couple hundred pheasants with it.
It weighs about 8 ounces more w the 20b barrels so I never ever used them. For what I paid to get the combo I could have bought a couple Dickinson's on sale.

I does have a cool factor but if I had it to do again I wouldn't have bought the combo I would have gotten the regular 1620 and a 28b SXS.

AM

I made it to Cabela's today and looked at the Dickinson. I really liked the way the gun felt and looked. Has anyone shot one yet or know anyone who has shot one? Seems like a good starter sxs. I would mainly use it for pheasants and ducks using steel shot and trying to figure what ga to get.

The Dickinson's were getting good reviews over on the shotgunworld forums (Huglu section I think is where I saw them) a year ago, haven't checked recently to see what is being said. My only worry would be longevity/parts availability if something were to break 10 years from now. I guess anything can be made from scratch though with the right amount of money.

The guys over on ShotgunWorld.com in the Huglu forum have the repair thing all figured out and have found plenty of gunsmiths to work on them. The ones that I have are much higher quality than you would believe for the price I paid. The only fault I can find with the 16b is the weight. My 12b weighs just over 6 and 1/2 pounds but the 16b is 6lbs 15oz. The actions and barrels are scaled to the bore diameter so I think the wood must be the difference.
I killed several pheasants last year with the 12b shooting non-tox on WMA's and if I remember correctly I was 4/4 using HeavyShot. The Dickinson is heavier than my AYA #4 in either 16b or 12b but it was not uncomfortable to carry and I feel much better shooting steel or non-tox out of it rather than the AYA's. It also has a 3" chamber so I shot some geese with it as well. Recoil with 3" mags from a fixed bore 12b is noticeable but I have shot things that recoiled worse.
I just saw them the other day in Cabelas for $1399 for new and a couple of used ones for $1099. That is a bargain any way you look at it.
AM

Back