Sick GSP

Little Brit

Had to bring my GSP pup to a kennel for 10 days as I was in Texas. I picked her up on Monday and noticed she was very thin. The lady at the kennel said she would let her out with 2 other one year old dogs and they would run non stop. She noticed the pup was losing weight so she was giving her 2 cups of food in the morning and 2 cups of food at night. I was only giving her 1 and 1. When I brought her home her coat was dull and falling out like crazy. It is now Tuesday and pup has the runs and vomited a few times. I washed her on Monday and coat seems back to normal now. She is not eating like she did when I left. Should I give it a few days and see what she does or take her in to vet. She is all up to date on vac. Any ideas why this would happen

david0311

Had to bring my GSP pup to a kennel for 10 days as I was in Texas. I picked her up on Monday and noticed she was very thin. The lady at the kennel said she would let her out with 2 other one year old dogs and they would run non stop. She noticed the pup was losing weight so she was giving her 2 cups of food in the morning and 2 cups of food at night. I was only giving her 1 and 1. When I brought her home her coat was dull and falling out like crazy. It is now Tuesday and pup has the runs and vomited a few times. I washed her on Monday and coat seems back to normal now. She is not eating like she did when I left. Should I give it a few days and see what she does or take her in to vet. She is all up to date on vac. Any ideas why this would happen

MMelton and Zeb asked the questions I would have asked would also ask --has she ever been left alone before? and is she very-very attached? as in spoiled -- LIKE MINE are--one of mine will get like that if only left for a day or so--I'd consider all of these options--forgot how is her attitude-energy ect?--and ask the kennel owner if she ate normal-- while she was there as well-if continues for another day would go to vet--

good luck

It was her first time away. She in not spoiled but we are together every day and I also have another dog that she is with all the time that went to my mothers house instead of the kennel. So she was away from her as well. She was on the same food as I brought a bag for her. Kennel said she ate good but who knows. She was up all night last night had to take her out four time to go to the bathroom and she vomited once more in her sleeping area. Her energy is still up. I had her out for a run yesterday before all the vomiting started and she seemed fine. She didn't get into anything in the field that I'm am aware of I watched her pretty good but she did have the runs a few times. I'll see how today goes and go from there I guess. Thanks guys

david0311

I hope everything is getting back on track with her--

I do request/demand that mine be kenneled together or next to each other when I have to leave them--may help in future

I really don't think mine are spoiled either--Just everyone else that I know does :)

Please keep us updated--dc

david0311

How is your pup doing??

Hope you took it to the Vet!!!! You never know!!!! Diet, bad water etc. Could be a whole bunch of things!!!! Let us know!!!!

She looks better now. Eating fine and drinking. Back to her old ways of being a pain in the ass lol. Not sure what she got but whatever it was it seemed to clear up. Thanks for the concern everyone. I'll rest her a few more days then back to the field to get her ready for some test in NAVHDA and CKC.

Wow, you scared me there, I hope it was just a case of nerves or anxiety with her being away for 10 days, maybe leave your hunt vest or shirt or something next time with your scent on it????

She's ok now Chris. I never thought about leaving something with my scent on it but next time I will. That scared me too but I didn't want to over reacted. It might have been that she ran non stop for ten days with the other dogs I'm thinking. Or even that she was away from us and my other dog too. But all is good now. I'm not working her for a bit to get her weight up plus its too hot here now so just some quick runs to get her out but nothing to hard. How is your pup doing.

Back