Shooting Steel through Older Guns

Dakotazeb

I started a new thread as this discussion came up on the thread about Browning coming out with a new A5 "Sweet Sixteen".

Jarbo stated that he had been shooting steel #4 through his older A5, with the choke opened to LM, for years with no ill effects. My Sweet Sixteen has an IC choke so I really don't see a problem with #4 steel through it. I think the number of shells you are putting through these barrels might have an effect but I would probably shoot less than a box per year through mine. And even though Jarbo has a LM choke I think there would be considerable less risk through an IC choke.

I put less than a box of steel through my 12 ga. 1941 vintage A5; if there's a problem with this, please advise. Thanks!

Do what you want, but here is a cut & paste from Browning's site;

All current Browning shotguns with the Standard Invector, Invector-Plus and DS choke tube systems are fully steel shot compatible with current factory loads. However, there are limitations to the compatibility of many older Browning shotguns with conventionally choked barrels. In certain models, shooting steel shot may cause a slight "ring bulge" just inches behind the muzzle or irreversible damage or harm to the shooter depending on the firearm. Accordingly, our recommendations concerning the use of steel shot in Browning shotguns is as follows:

1. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS:

All Browning shotguns with the Standard Invector, Invector-Plus or DS choke tube systems, However, we do not recommend the use of Invector full or extra full chokes with steel shot. They pattern too tightly, and sometimes result in a "blown" pattern.

2. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS EXCEPT THOSE WITH T, F, BB AND BBB SIZE SHOT:

The B-2000 and B-80 shotguns with conventional chokes (Non-Invector)

3. DO NO USE ANY STEEL SHOT LOADS:

The Belgian-made A-5, Superposed, Leige, and other Belgian Over/Under models, Double Automatic, American-made A-5 and all other models not listed in category 1 or 2. Note: Belgian Auto-5 barrels are interchangeable with the new Invector barrels which are made in Japan. With this new Invector barrel installed on the Belgian-made Auto-5 receiver, steel shot loads can be used.

I think most of us know what Browning recommends. The question here is can it be done in spite of what Browning says. Jarbo has done it for years without any adverse effect.

jonnyB, what choke are you shooting in your A5?

George:

I bought an improved cyl. barrel years ago - perhaps during the 70's and never used the original mod. barrel after shooting with the improved. Have shot very few steel through the 12 ga gun and mainly use my newer Browning 20 - Gold for steel shot.

Good info - I didn't know about this limitation for the 12 ga..

jon, I think with the IC choke and the limited number of steel shells you shoot you have nothing to worry about.

I'm not saying that steel can't damage some these older Brownings but part of it is also Browning covering their a$$.

When/If I ever run out of Kent TM for my Sweet Sixteen I'll shoot #4 steel through it for the limited times I need non-tox.

I have a buddy that has a A5 magnum that is full choke, he has shot steel t shot through it for attest 25 years. I doubt it is still a full choke, but there are no bulges or anything wrong with the barrel

Thanks, George.

Are you having a successful hunting season? Judging from the reports on this site, results are very mixed...

Thanks, George.

Are you having a successful hunting season? Judging from the reports on this site, results are very mixed...

Only been out 11 days, 4 in SD and 7 in MN. Fair results. We are downsizing and moving to a smaller home next week so hunting has taken somewhat of a backseat. Probably won't get any more done until the week of Thanksgiving.

My dad had used a early 60's A5 2.75" with a mod choke. He shot #2 steel through it for a number of years. He had no issues. No ring near the muzzle, nothing. I have the gun now, lost my pops in January. I have to admit I would love to take a few limits of ducks with it but have not attempted it.

One problem with shooting steel is shooting old ammunition that may have been wet a time or two. Some shot can become rusted and possibly clumped together because of rust. Ramming this through any choke, yet alone a softer type steel barrel of the Belgium Browning, is what surely could cause problems.

I read once a guy had been shooting steel through his model 12 Winchester Heavy Duck for several years, until one day boom...a single load split the barrel near the muzzle. Most likely a load where the shot bridged, possibly due to corroded shot being rusted together.

Nothing is without risk. If I was to shoot steel through such a gun. I would stick to new fresh ammo and stick to a smaller shot size. Also, I would probably not shoot super high velocity ammunition.

Onpoint

Not a Browning, but I would no more shoot steel through my late Father's venerable old SxS than I would slander his good name. When I use it, I use lead & either hunt areas where lead shot is still allowed or be content to break clay pigeons. To me, it just isn't worth the risk. To each his/her own; IF something happens, it's just too late.

Anybody know if I can shoot steel shot through my Beretta AL390 Silver Mallard 12ga? Or my Remington 870LW Special? I've been looking through the Beretta manual and am not finding conclusive information. Is there a way to find out? Just don't want to ruin a good gun is all.

Anybody know if I can shoot steel shot through my Beretta AL390 Silver Mallard 12ga? Or my Remington 870LW Special? I've been looking through the Beretta manual and am not finding conclusive information. Is there a way to find out? Just don't want to ruin a good gun is all.

From what I can find if your Beretta Mobilchoke choke tubes are marked "SP" it's okay to shoot steel through it. If they are not, then it's not recommended.

My dad had used a early 60's A5 2.75" with a mod choke. He shot #2 steel through it for a number of years. He had no issues. No ring near the muzzle, nothing. I have the gun now, lost my pops in January. I have to admit I would love to take a few limits of ducks with it but have not attempted it.

One problem with shooting steel is shooting old ammunition that may have been wet a time or two. Some shot can become rusted and possibly clumped together because of rust. Ramming this through any choke, yet alone a softer type steel barrel of the Belgium Browning, is what surely could cause problems.

I read once a guy had been shooting steel through his model 12 Winchester Heavy Duck for several years, until one day boom...a single load split the barrel near the muzzle. Most likely a load where the shot bridged, possibly due to corroded shot being rusted together.

Nothing is without risk. If I was to shoot steel through such a gun. I would stick to new fresh ammo and stick to a smaller shot size. Also, I would probably not shoot super high velocity ammunition.

Onpoint

I would not shoot the larger sized steel shot through the older guns like BB,BBB and T. If I was wanting to use it for Upland in a non tox area #4 or smaller I wouldn't hesitate. I believe the newer shot cups help a little as well with wear and tear... Now, I wouldn't shoot T shot through any gun with a full choke as I would be nervous as heck. Copper plated steel in smaller sizes may help with the small amount of softer material over the steel shot. But if you don't think you want to use your gun with steel shot then do not do it...Better safe than sorry..

I would not shoot steel at all through and older shotgun. There are much
better options. I have been using the Classic Doubles shells.

old Brownings/steel shot

A few yrs ago my grandpa died and I inherited a B2000 20ga that was made mid-70s in Belgian. I had Briley choke tubes put in it (was a fixed mod choke) and there was an option to purchase "steel load" choke tubes from Briley.

From my limited understanding the damager to tighter fixed chokes in older guns from steel shot is due to choke restriction actually being tighter then todays guns, the steel gets compressed but does not give like lead shot and so it deforms the barrel instead, putting a slight bulge (or worse?) in the restricted part of the barrel. The steel shot choke tubes seem to prevent that.

Have used steel shot in the gun w/o any trauma to the barrel...sadly then gun met an untimely demise in SD this past DEC :(

I would ask a gunsmith or contact Briley.

I used a Belgium Magnum 12 with a modified choke with steel for two duck seasons with no ill effects whatsoever. Apparently, the problem tends to arise if you use really large steel shot like BBs. I limited myself to nothing larger than number 2 steel.

I would have no problem whatsoever shooting steel out of an older Auto 5 for pheasants if the choke was modified or more open.

Back