Shells? Bring Money

Tip of the hat to Walmart. Just picked up 3 boxes of Federal 100 round 4 packs for clay shooting at $22.76 per 100 rounds.
Seems they are not jacking prices unlike others
Yes sir, I have thought the same thing.
Have noticed that Winchester 100 packs have increase by a dollar $23.96.
But that's fair.

I visited a WalMart in Plymouth IN today and picked up 2 boxes of Federal Game Load 16 gauge #7 1/2's for $8.58/box--not bad these days for 16's. Also got a 325 round box of Federal 40 grain .22's for $17.73....about 5 1/2 cents a shot. Again, given today's ammo hysteria, not bad. The trick is to get there at the right time. I've found, in my market, Tuesday a.m. works.

It looks that the big brick & mortar stores remain operating on the margins that they always have....their costs have not skyrocketed it seems, not sure if supply is that limited or people out are there just buying whatever they have whenever they have it. I think there is likely a lot of reselling going on...if you are a guy who stocks-up, you likely did that prior to this problem.

Monday morning at my local Walmart they had Federal 12 gauge 4 packs, and I purchased three.
Wednesday evenings I shoot with (what I call the retired guys) at our local gun club. On the way over I checked a Walmart in fort Smith, Ar. They had several target loads on the shelves.
Picked up three 20 gauge Federal 4 packs.
We were talking about it this evening and think that the manufacturers are starting to catch up. It at least seems that way in our area?

I went through KC yesterday to an appointment near Columbia MO -- anyways on the way back home stopped at the KC Cabelas and another spot in the mall -- The Adidas store didnt have much to choose from and I was surprised how little stock they had - Cabelas as well - not that full of merchandise - surprisingly there was some ammo - There were quite a few Super Sport Win AA 28 guage shells -- I was after the 20 or 12 guage Super Sport AA shells -- all I hunt with and will target shoot with anymore - none of those -- but there were a # of cheaper 12 g shells avail.

That's a positive I guess.

Local WalMart had shells again today - 12s and 16s. Not a lot but they don't even bother lock them behind glass anymore. No STS or AAs but encouraging nonetheless. Hoping for a pre-dove season sale as it used to be before the COVID bug was created.

Tip of the hat to Walmart. Just picked up 3 boxes of Federal 100 round 4 packs for clay shooting at $22.76 per 100 rounds.
Seems they are not jacking prices unlike others
Was at Walmart yesterday - Eden Prarie, MN. They no longer sell shotgun shells or any ammo.

Not sure, but believe it's permanent. Other Walmart stores in the area seem to have some shells. Trying to reach the right store person is almost impossible!

Not sure, but believe it's permanent. Other Walmart stores in the area seem to have some shells. Trying to reach the right store person is almost impossible!
WalMart corporate has, on occasion, demonstrated a certain "flexibility". I mean, inclination to bend readily to whatever political winds they think may be blowing. Which just means it may be worthwhile to help make certain they understand all sides of the issue - not just the one they hear on CNN. I don't think WalMart gives local managers anything like the level of autonomy that would be required to unilaterally decide to cede sales to our demographic.

Again this morning, visited a Wal Mart in South Bend IN and was able to purchase the following:

1. 4-pack (4 boxes) of 20 gauge Winchester Universal #8 target loads for $23.74
2. 2 boxes of 16 gauge Federal Game load #7 1/2's for $8.58 each.

They also had 20 gauge #3 buckshot loads which I didn't need.

Amazed to find some 12 ga. shells for sale at the local hardware store. But they were $29.99/box. You know, that's damn near thirty dollars. For a box of shells.
Unfortunately those prices are here to stay for awhile. Combination of supply and demand along with rising inflation. Component costs are up and manufacturers simply pass on those increased costs to the consumer. I got a email reply from several ammo online dealers telling me the 9mm ammo that I had marked "notify when in stock" maybe 6 months ago was currently in stock in limited supply. We'll.... the price/box had almost doubled in a years time.

I guess the silver lining is that dealers are slowly starting to refill some of their shelves. So ammo is slowly becoming available, but at a much higher cost.

Unfortunately those prices are here to stay for awhile. Combination of supply and demand along with rising inflation. Component costs are up and manufacturers simply pass on those increased costs to the consumer. I got a email reply from several ammo online dealers telling me the 9mm ammo that I had marked "notify when in stock" maybe 6 months ago was currently in stock in limited supply. We'll.... the price/box had almost doubled in a years time.

I guess the silver lining is that dealers are slowly starting to refill some of their shelves. So ammo is slowly becoming available, but at a much higher cost.
Astute observations - but why, then, are WalMart and Rural King selling (albeit with limited quantities) at very near pre-'Rona prices?
Not a smartass question - any insights out there?

Back