Shells? Bring Money

Couldn't really tell you. But you'll find that your premium hunting loads are going to be much more expensive than you paid say a year or more ago. You can buy ammo directly from Federal online. They list everything they sell whether it's in stock or unavailable. I will say some of the promotional or cheaper Target loads and field loads are probably not going to have as much markup as you're more premium high-end loads.

Centerfire pistol ammo is crazy expensive even more of a markup than shot shells. Little Over a year ago I was paying $210 (10.50/box of 50) for a thousand rounds of Federal American eagle 9 mm target ammo, now it's selling for 24.99/box or $249 for 500 rounds at an online ammo dealer that I use.

I would say if you need ammo for the hunting season start keeping an eye out as I'm sure before long ammo companies will be if, they haven't already, started ramping up their hunting ammo production.

Last edited:
Wal Mart again came through for me this morning; they had 4-4 packs of Federal 1 1/8 oz. 12 gauge target loads for $23.76 each. I bought one 4-pack; figured the previous buyer left some for me so I would leave some for the next guy. They also had at least 24 -325 round packs of Federal .22 LR at $17.73/pack. There also was 450 Bushmaster ammo that I don't use, we'll see how fast that goes.

Wal Mart again came through for me this morning; they had 4-4 packs of Federal 1 1/8 oz. 12 gauge target loads for $23.76 each. I bought one 4-pack; figured the previous buyer left some for me so I would leave some for the next guy. They also had at least 24 -325 round packs of Federal .22 LR at $17.73/pack. There also was 450 Bushmaster ammo that I don't use, we'll see how fast that goes.
Outstanding news - thanks!

Thought Wally had opted to save us all from each other by refusing to sell pistol and assault weapon of mass destruction ammo, hopefully they have quietly reconsidered. If 450 Bushmaster, why not .223?

Several places online were showing Fiocchi Golden Pheasant and a new Fiocchi 20 ga shell in stock around 15$ a box. Seen them earlier today. Only checked for 20ga. Jfyi.

A few day's ago I visited Fleet Farm, local sell- everything store.

One 10' counter devoted to all the ammo they sell, few to no shells in 20 ga., or 12. Zero sporty/trap load.

If you check their web site, they advertise all kinds and sizes...wonder when they will restock?

If you check their web site, they advertise all kinds and sizes...wonder when they will restock?
Fleet Farm has never been very good at restocking. Even before the ammo shortage and pandemic hoarding, their pegs and shelves were already half empty. My guess is that they can't find enough employees to physically put the product in the store at this point.

Visited three large sporting goods store in South Dakota, no target shells at all.

Plenty of rifle and large load shotguns shells.

On our recent visit to South Dakota, we stopped at the Bass Pro Shops store in Altoona, Iowa. There I found 9mm American Eagle ammo (limit 4 boxes) which my Sig P210 target gun LOVES--for a surprisingly low price (given these times) of $19.99/box. You have to time it right--and I often guess wrong--but seems to me that prices, at least on some items, are starting to back off just a little bit. But it is too true that if you want the premium hot stuff--Prairie Storm, Kent tungsten Matrix, Hevi-Shot, Boss etc. the prices are frightfully high.

Anybody know anything about Backridge Ammunition? I shot their shells last year and I really liked them. I also LOVE supporting a veteran and all American type business. They however don't seem to be making any or putting out any updates. I also see a lot of influencers like The Hunting Dog Podcast and Tyler Webster's have changed to Boss Ammunition.

Saturday a local gun shop had a fair assortment of 12&20 ga of target and hunting loads. Bought 6 boxes of Golden Pheasant 20ga 2 3\4 6 shot. They claimed to within the next few weeks to be almost totally restocked, we'll see.

Bought more Remington 16 gauge #7 1/2 Game Loads at Wal Mart today, $9.23/box WITH TAX. They work well on targets too.

Saturday a local gun shop had a fair assortment of 12&20 ga of target and hunting loads. Bought 6 boxes of Golden Pheasant 20ga 2 3\4 6 shot. They claimed to within the next few weeks to be almost totally restocked, we'll see.
What state?

I bought three more Federal hundred packs yesterday. The price has increased here. $24.38
Munster I shoot between 10 and 15 flats a year, and I don't shoot competition Targets anymore.

I'm just giving you guys shit haha
(y)

Target shooters shoot a lot of shells. I'm not sure that hunters realize how many.
Last month sporting clays US open was held at claythorne, Kansas. They threw 700,000 targets that weekend. That's 28 thousand boxes of shells.
The Grand American (trap)
Starts August 4th. They'll probably throw 4 million targets over the course of the event. 160,000 boxes of shells.
And we wonder why manufacturers can't keep up.

Back