Shells? Bring Money

BritChaser

Amazed to find some 12 ga. shells for sale at the local hardware store. But they were $29.99/box. You know, that's damn near thirty dollars. For a box of shells.

The last time I went down to the sporting goods store in the "big" town 25 miles away, the shelves were virtually empty. In a corner I found one box each of 12 and of 20 gauge shells and clutched them to my chest, eyes cast down-wards, protecting them until I got to the register.

I don't expect it to improve much over the summer, and I'm usually a pretty optimistic guy.

The shop owner--the nicest person in Wisconsin--offered that he was in regular contact with the distributors and all of them were unable to supply anything like the orders of the past; they wouldn't even speculate on when they could re-supply. He said it was even worse for any new guns.

And so it goes....

Fortunately, Brittchaser, you and I are magnificent shots and need only take out the number of shells to harvest exactly the limits in our areas.:rolleyes:

Be safe.

I am glad I reload, I have enough components to last...at least 5 years, probably closer to ten. Some folks say it doesn't save any money to reload shot shells, that was never my main motivation, I just like recycling, makes me feel a little more self-sufficient. Maybe I am finally to the point that it saves me money...that is usually the excuse we give to our spouses when one starts to acquire a roomful of reloading equipment....I wasn't lying after all!

Finally. A good beginning. Several quality clay loads IN STOCK at Rogers. Post "reset" so a bit pricey - but what isn't, now? You can't shoot dollar bills (or do much else with them, come to think of it).

Finally. A good beginning. Several quality clay loads IN STOCK at Rogers. Post "reset" so a bit pricey - but what isn't, now? You can't shoot dollar bills (or do much else with them, come to think of it).

Update. The dam appears to have sprung a slow leak and shot shells are beginning to trickle out at REASONABLE prices. Bought AAs at local WalMart (OK, just 3 boxes but its a start) at $8. Also Gun Clubs (prefer STS or AA but given circumstances - GCs do go "bang") at a bit over $7 from Rural King.

I bought a case towards the end of season last year for this very reason. I didn’t need them but bought them anyway cause it was convenient timing and knew I’d need them anyway at some point this upcoming season. I’m glad I did.

All ammo is scarce here, unless it is some offbreed rifle ammo that nobody has a gun for. Trap loads are nonexistent. I have plenty of hunting loads left over from past years, but supposedly there is a limit on how many I can take through Canada, if I can drive down this year.

Yes, ammo sightings are still almost as scarce as verified Yeti captures - but after seeing zero availability for over a year, the odd box here and there is enough to spark mild optimism on my part.

Long term pricing is a different issue. We will just have to wait until the Administration achieves its goal of spurring inflation up to the 2% level to see how that is going to work out for us.

Plenty to be sad about over the past year plus - but I prefer to focus on the bright spots. ANY ammo at WalMart being an example - thanks for the great recon.

Back