Shed hunting

kellit

Does anyone else go shed hunting? I went for the first time this past weekend and was lucky enough to find my first shed in a bedding area. It was a 4 point from what we guessed was a two year old buck. Would love to hear if anyone else goes and if someone has found something this year!

Found one 5 point in Kansas the last week of Dec. with fresh blood on it. Last year I found 23 in 2 days in N.E. Colo. The biggest was a massive 12 pointer that we were lucky enough to find the matching side 400 yds. away. Usually they start dropping here the end of Jan. to the end of March depending on how large the antlers are . WE can't go into the mountains until May. That is a law they just passed to help the deer and elk while they are still wintering.Good Luck!!!:)

So many I find have been ran over by farm machinery, so are not very good.

Always excited to find a nice set like these-
Sheds7May0700005.jpg

I mark on the butt the date I found them and add them to the fireplace mantle.

stick16Aug08029.jpg

Nice photos MR!

That is a Dandy!

I found one side of an 8pt and only problem was i found the deer they belonged to about 20 feet away eaten by coyotes. Still had his other horn on. I suspect a car hit deer or wounded one from gun season.

I need to get busy. I have three heads I need to boil and do European mounts(be my first try), then a number that I need to do wall antler mounts. That will clean up the storage room and fill every available wall(might motivate me to add more wall)

Storage-
stick3Dec07004_edit.jpg

A couple pics from my 09 finds.
P1010134.jpg

P1010133-1.jpg

P1010166.jpg

Wow...great collection! Here is a pic of the first one that I have found. I spent quite a long time hiking through knee high snow to find this. I was tired and cursing everything I could think of when I came across it. It was at the very end of the day as I was making my way back to the car. Beginner's luck I suppose!

IMAG0075-300x225.jpg

Great start Kellit, I often went with out finding any. Thought you might enjoy this one, I have many average ones but this white tail shed was unreal, too bad the mice got to it first. Thats a standard coors light beer bottle and a 204lb field dressed deer mount that scored 148" with a 20" inside spread, for compairison. The 2 chewed off tines should have been 12 and 14-16" long judjing by the diameter where thier chewed off and the length of the brows. Also chewed off is a drop tine that would have been at least 6". Wish I would have gotten to it sooner.

P1200096.jpg

P1200099.jpg

P1200095.jpg

Last edited:
holy crap! where did you find these? i found mine in iowa. i'm back in dc now and am considering looking around here to see if i can find any.

holy crap! where did you find these? i found mine in iowa. i'm back in dc now and am considering looking around here to see if i can find any.

Try to find State Parks or refuge areas, that they yarded up in all winter, the big boy's head for those when the shooting starts, and alot stay there through winter if theres a field to feed in near by.

Kellit, That's a good start to 010. Nothing wrong with that find.

FC that is a heck of a hunk of bone. Dang tree rats :(

Are any of ya'll using dogs to find the sheds? I saw an add not too long ago asking for sheds to use in training pups to search for more sheds. Not a bad idea and wouldn't be too hard to do.

i try to get out every year and find them before the squirrels do they love them. find most of mine when not actually looking for them. i usually tell my boys to invite friends over so we can cover more ground, and usually when i start to scout for turkey season, looking for turkey sign i find more sheds than turkey sign. there was a guy on gundogsonline selling a shed antler dog never heard of that before!!! i guess the dog looks for sheds like a bird dog looks for birds?

WE can't go into the mountains until May. That is a law they just passed to help the deer and elk while they are still wintering.Good Luck!!!:)

I would like to know more about this law you speak of??? I shed hunt a lot for Elk antlers here in Colorado (all National Forest) and have never heard of such a law.
Thanks

Check with the Division of Wildlife on exactly where these areas are. I know where I go in the Gunnison basin area, there are dates. Several people were ticketed for harrassing wildlife. I am sure in the big wintering grounds it is the same. Out east there are no restrictions that I know of. They almost put a season on it, or were going to make it illegal. I guess I would rather have a season.

I doubt that there is any restrictions for the areas in the foothills where I go but I will check with DOW. Thanks for the heads up.

Are any of ya'll using dogs to find the sheds? I saw an add not too long ago asking for sheds to use in training pups to search for more sheds. Not a bad idea and wouldn't be too hard to do.

my boyfriend has been training his dog to look for them. he told me that there are actually training classes you can go to with your dog but he's been doing it on his own. the pic below shows chet training to find a shed in snow.

shed.JPG

Back