Semi Automatic 20 Gauge Recommendations

ehudgens

Guys,

I'm in the market for a 20 gauge semi automatic shotgun. I don't really want to spend over $1500 as I am pretty hard on my equipment. I prefer a walnut type stock and forearm vs synthetic. Just never liked the look of the synthetic although I know it's very practical. Will be using this for pheasants, quail, doves, shartails, huns and ruffed grouse.

Looking forward to your comments. I know there are lots of opinions on this board!!!

Guys,

I'm in the market for a 20 gauge semi automatic shotgun. I don't really want to spend over $1500 as I am pretty hard on my equipment. I prefer a walnut type stock and forearm vs synthetic. Just never liked the look of the synthetic although I know it's very practical. Will be using this for pheasants, quail, doves, shartails, huns and ruffed grouse.

Looking forward to your comments. I know there are lots of opinions on this board!!!
The new benelli montefeltro now has the same action and forend as the ethos and is considerably cheaper than ethos.

Retay Masai Mara. Beautiful, light weight, and back bored barrel. Throws a fantastic pattern, and I've retired my Benelli since buying it.

There are lighter, more dependable guns, but for me it's hard to beat the 1100 light twenties. The special fields with the English stocks I always thought were nice looking guns also. My dad carried his for the last 30 years. I gave it to my nephew a few years ago.

Wife shoots a browning Gold. I have a Silver that is old enough to have nice wood. The Gold is a bit heavy for a 20 gauge, but the recoil is less. No complaints with either.

I have several 20 gauge guns. Winchester SX3, Benelli M2, Benelli Monty, Browning Citori White Lightning and Mossberg SA 20.
For the last 3 years I've taken the Mossberg on my trips for pheasant to South Dakota.
Never regreted it.

I've been hearing good things about the Mosbergs. Didn't they sell a patent for an auto to one of the major companies?

They are made by Armsan in Turkey. Not my first choise in gun makers. (they also make Tristar)
However, after watching a Randy Wakeman vid. I decided to take a chance.

What I like
1. It fits me perfectly (just lucky)
2. Easy to load. My Benelli's are thumb busters. Combination of cold hands and being over 70 y/o it was a killer.
3. Very light, carry it all day long.
4. Gas, so the recoil is minimal. I shoot 3'' # 5's and it's a non-issue
5. Never had a hang up of any kind. It's been 100% reliable

What are minor issues
1. It's gas, so it needs cleaning
2. The metallurgy. Some of the components seem to be of softer metal. If used on a dove field or other high volume shooting it may be a problem over time.
For me, I use it for pheasant. A box or two a year if I'm lucky.
3. Mossberg won't sell you replacement parts. You have to send it to them. Tristar (same gun) will sell parts.
4. Is the overall quality of the gun equal to Benelli, Browning and Beretta. No, but in my opinion they have taken a step down.

So far it works for me

They are made by Armsan in Turkey. Not my first choise in gun makers. (they also make Tristar)
However, after watching a Randy Wakeman vid. I decided to take a chance.

What I like
1. It fits me perfectly (just lucky)
2. Easy to load. My Benelli's are thumb busters. Combination of cold hands and being over 70 y/o it was a killer.
3. Very light, carry it all day long.
4. Gas, so the recoil is minimal. I shoot 3'' # 5's and it's a non-issue
5. Never had a hang up of any kind. It's been 100% reliable

What are minor issues
1. It's gas, so it needs cleaning
2. The metallurgy. Some of the components seem to be of softer metal. If used on a dove field or other high volume shooting it may be a problem over time.
For me, I use it for pheasant. A box or two a year if I'm lucky.
3. Mossberg won't sell you replacement parts. You have to send it to them. Tristar (same gun) will sell parts.
4. Is the overall quality of the gun equal to Benelli, Browning and Beretta. No, but in my opinion they have taken a step down.

So far it works for me
The new Montefeltro is the easiest gun to load I have owned.

I have several 20 gauge guns. Winchester SX3, Benelli M2, Benelli Monty, Browning Citori White Lightning and Mossberg SA 20.
For the last 3 years I've taken the Mossberg on my trips for pheasant to South Dakota.
Never regreted Mossburg? Come on man.

I have a Beretta 390 20 ga bought used, nice gun. They are around on the used market. My favorite is a 16 ga. Model 12 Winchester.

BI

Back