seen at Gun show

FieldKing

Seen a Winchester 101 o/u at small gun show today choked skeet/skeet, I loved the gun but figured chokes were too open for wild Pheasant, I assume great grouse gun though?

chokes

a lot of the older guns were choked skeet one and skeet two, those were more tolerable but even at that a 30 yd shot was quite a ways. the other concern if it was a skeet gun or even a trap gun, are the chokes shot out?

cheers

I've heard that current shotshells have denser patterns so skeet may be fine on pheasants, especially a 1 3/8 oz. load. But I'm no expert.

Last edited:
chokes and wads

originally of course they had no chokes, then they had no self contained wads and now they have what ever ya want. I believe most of the recent, modern guns, their chokes have now all been modified to accept the wads, ie" adjusted slightly for the thickness of the shot cup. at one time to be sure if you had a true full choke and then put a shot cup through that choke and the shot cup had petals that were .020 thick, you then had a super full choke

cheers

THe choke marked on the barrel is really just a suggestion. The ammo you shoot will determine what pattern density ends up on target. Having patterned one gun extensively, I found I could handload shells using different shot, shot sizes, wads and velocities and get anything from skeet to Full out of the same barrel. it was marked ImpCyl.

SK/SK would work pretty good with the right load and a seasoned pointer who knows how to maneuver to keep the bird from running.

Seen a Winchester 101 o/u at small gun show today choked skeet/skeet, I loved the gun but figured chokes were too open for wild Pheasant, I assume great grouse gun though?

So how much were they asking for that 101?

I wouldn't be afraid of a gun choked Skeet/Skeet. If you want to tighten up the pattern all you have to do is buy some of the Federal Prairie Storm or the new Winchester Rooster XR. Those will make those Skeet tubes pattern like Mod-Full.

Back