Seeing many birds

Thanks for the info.All I am looking for is an opportunity to see some birds to shoot at and to get a limit if I shoot straight. But like a buddy of mine says, " that's why they call it hunting instead of killing"! The best part, is just getting out,seeing the dogs work and meeting people that enjoy the sport.
It's too bad it's so far, as I would love to see my Brittanys' work on some of those big SD roosters. Only pen raided birds down here.
As a native of the area, when would you say would be the best time of the season to hunt given all things being equal?
Thanks again
Richard:)
P.S. what's the status with Craven's Corner?

Thanks for the info.All I am looking for is an opportunity to see some birds to shoot at and to get a limit if I shoot straight. But like a buddy of mine says, " that's why they call it hunting instead of killing"! The best part, is just getting out,seeing the dogs work and meeting people that enjoy the sport.
It's too bad it's so far, as I would love to see my Brittanys' work on some of those big SD roosters. Only pen raided birds down here.
As a native of the area, when would you say would be the best time of the season to hunt given all things being equal?
Thanks again
Richard:)
P.S. what's the status with Craven's Corner?

The best time of the season in my honest opinion is a half hour before sundown. I know that is not what you are asking but outside of opening weekend when we have a family reunion it is about the only time I hunt. My favorite time season wise is early December. I consider December birds to be trophy birds because they are smarter, faster, fatter and full plumage. A little snow and a little cold makes for some outstanding hunting. If I was coming from Texas, I would like to be sure that at least some of the corn was harvested. That probably means November but you never know for sure. Opener is usually special so you should be fine, but if you run into too much corn and not enough birds find some grass close to a corn field and hunt the last 30 minutes of legal hunting. In 2009 on opening day we shot half of our limit the last 20 minutes that way. Dogs were pointing birds were flying and guns were firing. Smiles everywhere. Craven Corner is gone. I am not sure if it is going to be rebuilt or not.

Last edited:
here in SW Kansas at this time last year I had a couple roosters, 4 hens with chicks- I'm seeing these strutting alone- doesn't look good
but a good pointing dog and a willingness to get out and not be conserned wityh killing- you can have a good time
rooster002.jpg

Haymaker,
Thanks for the tip. Found that to be true in Texas also. The season there doesn't start till The first week in December. The weather in the Panhandle can be brutal at that time of year. Ice, snow, sleet and winds up to 40 - 45 mph. Been there, done that.
Wish I was coming from Texas, I'm 14 hrs. to the South in Baton Rouge, LA.
I knew Craven Corner had burned, but I read an article that quoted the owner as saying he was going to rebuild.Looks like we'll have to find another place for dinner. Any suggestions?
Hope you get to hunt more this year

Cajun
There is only one place in Ipswich now, thats the one downtown that used to be The Trail. There is a good resturant in Roscoe, but you will be about as close to Aberdeen. Mavericks is good. I get to hunt plenty it is just that I choose to hunt just before sundown, just my dog and I.

Finally saw some young birds about 1.5 miles from my house. Actually the roosters were already showing some color and they were good sized. Must have been one early nest. Saw 5-6, possibly more in ditch.

Saw another bunch, very close to where I saw the above brood. The second brood had at least 10 chicks that I counted as they flew from the ditch. They were much smaller, three weeks old ?
There were 6 hens and 6 roosters in the little "grove" in this area all winter, so at least two hens have done all right. Looks like mixed hatch to me.

gee, saw about 11 cocks in my Avery today while feeding the birds :rolleyes:

Anyway, Uncle Buck....... What are we doing this yr? worth going up? You coming down? We got birds again:thumbsup: I'm all over it.
Shag-Runners are ready to jet. And by the way you old fart ! Happy late birthday.

D-HotRod

Back