Season Reports

You guys are giving me hope for Minnesota again! I haven't hunted here much the last few years as the bird numbers in my spots were really low. I might have to get out there in the late season to give it a try.

No birds in Minnesota:thumbsup:

You guys are giving me hope for Minnesota again! I haven't hunted here much the last few years as the bird numbers in my spots were really low. I might have to get out there in the late season to give it a try.

There are birds to be had, especially if you are willing to work for them. I have had some of my best experiences in the field the past 2 season working hard for birds, working thick stuff, lots of miles, really cold days. It makes me savor the hunt and the birds I harvest.

I couldn't help myself and took off on Tuesday with the new snow. Had about 8 inches where I hunted and made walking quite a bit more difficult. Got up 5 roosters and 6-7 hens and only shot one. Most flushed wild, but a few hens and one rooster held tight. I seemed to be in the wrong spot every time a rooster got up, but it was nice to see quite a few. Birds were on the edges, willows and cattails.

Last bird had buried itself and was pointed near barbwire and the pup managed a nice 3 inch cut on his chest after I kicked it up. Whoops :( Vet cleaned it out and stapled it. Out of action for a week to 10 days, but will definitely be back out with a skid plate on. Didn't see any deer hunters out.

IMG_0874_zpse5760b58.jpg.html

Last edited:
Staples are working good and no sign of infection. Didn't hurt any muscle, so we should be back next weekend. Picked up a cabelas ripstop to try next time out. I like the way the skid plate fits better, but the skid plate has a little less coverage from the chest to neck.

Headed out for the next 3 days. Is going to be cold! Hoping the birds play nice and I don't have to spend all day chasing them around.

Hunted around Hutchinson again on Saturday, perfect morning to hunt. Unfortunately my one solid opportunity at a bird I completely missed... Birds are definitely bunching up, but am pleased with the amount of birds I did see considering I only hunted from 9 to 11. Probably saw 15 birds, three of which were roosters and saw 5 roosters together on highway 212 on my way home. I'm pretty sure they heard from the one I missed and wanted to mock me as I drove home. I hope to still get out several times this year, good luck to everyone still hunting.

Hens...

Hunted a few spots Friday near Cosmos and Hutchinson area. I did see one plowed field with 10-15 roosters and double the amount of hens. It was just across from some private slough. Unfortunately the land owner wasn't home at the time so i didn't get to even ask for permission. I did see a lot of birds around Hutch but all hens. I was very surprised i didn't run into any deer hunters.

Got out in the wind today! Saw a lot of birds good mix of hens and roosters. All the birds we in the heavy cover. Red elders, tree groves and cattails. 2 of us both missed our first 2 birds. After that we figured out the lead and with a few lucky shot we got our 4 by 1:30. To cold to stand out side and take pictures. Ill take some of tomorrow's hunt.

Supposed to warm up this weekend. Now that I got deer season out of my system I plan to go this weekend. Weather up here In Alex has been brutal. Fish houses are out on some lakes. Birds in some spots are looking dumb like mid winter ones picking on the black tops while you slowly drive by. Its a bummer getting this cold this fast.

Staples are working good and no sign of infection. Didn't hurt any muscle, so we should be back next weekend. Picked up a cabelas ripstop to try next time out. I like the way the skid plate fits better, but the skid plate has a little less coverage from the chest to neck.

Good to hear.

IMAG0945_zps3cf161ec.jpg

Got off to a great start this morning. Had 2 birds in the bag and missed 2 more. Though it might be a quick day. Hunted a few more spots and boy did we find the hens. Roosters were however hard to find. We flushed 50-60 hens and only saw 6 roosters. Finished the day 1 short. The weather was a sure lot more enjoyable today. Meeting up with Zeb tomorrow for our last day.

IMAG0954_zpsc3d09af9.jpg

Met up with Zeb today hunted a big peace of ground that produced quite a few roosters for me last year. Pretty much walked the whole pc that was almost a full section. We put up 8 hens and a nice pointed rooster by zebs brit. We were headed to the next pc of public when zeb called me and asked if we wanted to go hunt some private ground he has permission to hunt. Who was I to say no:). Ended up on some really nice ground shot 4 more birds and headed home about 2pm. Great 3 days of hunting in Minnesota.

It was a good time Tbear. A little less wind would have been nice. But 3 hours of trucking through the snow has this ol' man home on the couch with a bottle of ibuprofen. :) And Elle has also been pretty much comatose since we got home.

It was a good time Tbear. A little less wind would have been nice. But 3 hours of trucking through the snow has this ol' man home on the couch with a bottle of ibuprofen. :) And Elle has also been pretty much comatose since we got home.

Thinking about doing it again next year same time. Maybe we won't have snow:mad:

Now that opener is gone figured we should have a thread for the rest of the season. I have not had a chance to make it out again. Stupid job is getting in the way. Im headed out again Saturday. I try and take some pics and let you know how it went:cheers:

T I edited your title to the thread:cheers: I got tired of reading repots.:D Nice day you guys had. I was going to pop out for a bit this afternoon, but suddenly the blizzard and wind came LOL. Saw some nice birds today however, they live to fight another day.

Last edited:
Back