SD Update

Uncle Buck

Dug my way out to road late yesterday and thought I would go have a toddy at my local bar, Critters in Crooks. Went about 3 miles, halfway and decided I best return home as while I could get there, I might not get back do to drifting. I do get cabin fever. This is also going to mess-up lake access for ice fishing.
About 9:30 AM I was looking out the patio windows and saw 20+ birds fly into a fenceline where there are two large bushes they like to sit in in tough conditions. Last year they were never there. They were coming out of the heavy creek bottom. Long story short, there are plenty of survivors.
Most of I-90 and all of I-29 are now open. Roads with no farms or need to be open will not be for a long time, perhaps the rest of the winter. The drifts will be tough getting into and out of fields and sloughs.
By the way, it is still snowing!
________
Marijuana indica

Last edited:
Uncle Buck:

Where do you live? SD?

Happy New Year - hopefully the birds will survive...somehow.

Jon

Where do you live?

Good question . . . for everyone.

To enter a home base or home hunting grounds location to display on your profile and posts here:

1. Click User CP - (Found on left side of page)
  2. Select Edit Your Details - (Second item in column on left side of page)
  3. Location - (Enter text toward bottom of page)

This lets folks know, literally, where you're coming from.

The wife and I went to my daughter's in Redfield this morning. Wind was still blowing strong but surprisingly the drifting wasn't too bad. As I write this at 1:30 the skies are clearing and the sun is peaking out. We did see a few birds scratching for food in the fields. The fields are fairly clear as all the snow blew off them. Tree lines and fence lines were drifted in big time. I plan to get out tomorrow and try hunting a little but it will be tough getting around. This ol' guy can't buck the snow like he use to! :)

P.S. Uncle Buck is located about 10 miles NW of Sioux Falls.

Last edited:
Quote Uncle Buck
"I would go have a toddy at my local bar, Critters in Crooks. Went about 3 miles, halfway and decided I best return home as while I could get there, I might not get back do to drifting."

OMG, stuck at a bar and can't get home to the wife...Somebody shoot me..LOL

Quote Uncle Buck
"I would go have a toddy at my local bar, Critters in Crooks. Went about 3 miles, halfway and decided I best return home as while I could get there, I might not get back do to drifting."

OMG, stuck at a bar and can't get home to the wife...Somebody shoot me..LOL

I left her with 7 dogs in the house. I am smart enough at my age to know when to quit!
________
Dodge Viper Specifications

Last edited:
Okay guys, here's a report on the hunting conditions in the Aberdeen area. I loaded up the dogs this morning and headed out to a public area. I don't think in the 30+ years I've lived in South Dakota and hunted pheasants that I have seen the conditions this bad. Everything is full of snow and it's near impossible to walk around. The snow on the level is knee deep with a crust on top from the wind. On the south side of the tree lines where the snow wasn't so deep it wasn't too bad. I also walked a sorghum strip where the snow was only about 10" deep and fluffy so that wan't bad either. Kicked a number of birds out of the sorghum but only got one as they all got up way ahead of me. I tried to walk a cattail ravine but the snow was too deep in it and both the dogs and I were struggling so I backtracked out of there. I did see a few birds land ahead of me in the cattails but I let them be. Not sure that I will even go out again due to the conditions. I might try walking that sorghum again but that would be about it.

Looking at all the snow piled up and covering so much of the habitat I'm sure we lost a fair aomunt of birds last week.

Back