SD Suggestions for military member and son

Greetings SD hunters,
I'm in need of advice on either a hunting lodge, or any offers to hunt on private land. I picked up Pheasant hunting while on an exchange tour with the Army in Kansas 10 years ago. Over Thanksgiving, my 14 year old son and I drove the 2,700 mile round-trip journey from Virginia Beach to Central Kansas to hunt WIHA. Needless to say, we only kicked up two roosters in range (dropping the first) during our two day hunt. While driving home, my son indicated he had the absolute best time, but wished he could have gotten off more than two shots.

I'm considering taking him hunting again over the Christmas break, but want to increase the odds more in our favor by coming to South Dakota. Plan would be to fly (not bringing my lab in the hold of the aircraft) and either hunt a private lodge (like Thunderstik - but not as expensive) or solicit any landowners who might want to offer their property. Not having our lab will make it problematic, so a lodge with a guide might be the best route. Depending on the options, I might load the truck up, and make the drive. My lab would love me for it.
Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Respectfully,
Bill

Bill...Would suggest investigating the hunting directory for outfitters/lodges that could accommodate you and your son. Traveling to SD late in December can be very hazardous by car due to snow storms across the Midwest.

Air travel might be a better choice...

SD requires a "safety certificate" or a certificate from another state for your son.

Some facilities are finished for the season Christmas week or before. When do you plan to travel?

Best of luck to you and your son...

Bill I was thinking of the same thing with my boys over Christmas. I am headed up to hunt later this week and I will see if I can squeeze a couple days out of him

Greetings SD hunters,
I'm in need of advice on either a hunting lodge, or any offers to hunt on private land. I picked up Pheasant hunting while on an exchange tour with the Army in Kansas 10 years ago. Over Thanksgiving, my 14 year old son and I drove the 2,700 mile round-trip journey from Virginia Beach to Central Kansas to hunt WIHA. Needless to say, we only kicked up two roosters in range (dropping the first) during our two day hunt. While driving home, my son indicated he had the absolute best time, but wished he could have gotten off more than two shots.

I'm considering taking him hunting again over the Christmas break, but want to increase the odds more in our favor by coming to South Dakota. Plan would be to fly (not bringing my lab in the hold of the aircraft) and either hunt a private lodge (like Thunderstik - but not as expensive) or solicit any landowners who might want to offer their property. Not having our lab will make it problematic, so a lodge with a guide might be the best route. Depending on the options, I might load the truck up, and make the drive. My lab would love me for it.
Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Respectfully,
Bill

If you don't get a better offer, come and hunt here no charge. It might be good to hook up with a group. Whatever you want to do is fine but if you are interested let me know so we can talk about it.

Last edited:
If you don't get a better offer, come and hunt here no charge. It might be good to hook up with a group. Whatever you want to do is fine but if you are interested let me know so we can talk about it.

Haymaker is top notch if I payed to play I'd be giving him my $$$...

Last edited:
Yes...a very generous offer from a fine fellow. You won't be disappointed!

Let us know what you decide - good luck to you and your son.

Haymaker,
Thank you very much. I sent you a message.
I look forward to speaking with you.
Bill

Go with Haymaker. Dennis is a stand up guy. You can fly into Aberdeen and then have about a 40 mile drive west. Dennis has a dog and maybe you can find someone else with a dog from this site to hook up with.

Thanks for your service from an old Army vet.

Bill: Did you travel to SD? And how was your trip?

Well the weather has put a stop to the after Christmas hunt. The ice that we have is going to make it hard for the birds to feed. Hopefully the cover crops and the other measures that we have done will get them through till we get better weather.

Bill: Did you travel to SD? And how was your trip?

Well the weather has put a stop to the after Christmas hunt. The ice that we have is going to make it hard for the birds to feed. Hopefully the cover crops and the other measures that we have done will get them through till we get better weather.

Back