"SD IS ENJOYING INCREASED PHEASANT ABUNDANCE!" (blaze orange, all caps, large font, GFP website...)

Excellent post, Woollybob. There are definitely interesting correlations to be made w/ the data the GF&P has chosen to publish over the years. Regarding your statement, "South Dakota is not measuring it - that tells me how committed they are to managing it." Maybe they're not DIRECTLY measuring it. But the fact that you or I are able to use the available data & draw meaningful conclusions makes me believe the State can do it too. Last year, hunters apparently bagged about 9.1 birds each. Based on your graph alone (without benefit of any other data the GF&P has), had they done the brood count, I think it's reasonable to conclude the PPM is likely to have been in the 2.5-4.5 range (which in my mind is a pretty big range). I'm certain the GF&P (or you or I for that matter) could narrow it down by introducing other data. It obviously becomes a matter of WHEN the information becomes available - before or after the season. But either way, it's there. I think with various surveys & things the GF&P still DOES do, they probably have access to basically as much info as they had before. They're just not spending the extra money on the brood count to make it available prior to the season. For what it may be worth, perhaps they'd consider backing out the data & publishing estimated preseason population, ppm, brood size & roosters/hens ratio based on other measured data, some of which would be historical.

Last edited:
So, after all the blather (much of it my doing), here’s the thing that matters, knowing we all love pheasant hunting, no matter the reasons: we each need to do something to improve things, if we can…join conservation organizations…encourage a private landowner to look into various programs through FSA/NRCS to enroll land, even marginal land, back into habitat…take a kid hunting, especially a kid/grandkid of the farmer who is letting you hunt…(done it, it’s cool and does lots of good!!!!)…I doubt many of us on this board ONLY just hunt without regard to how we can preserve the wild places…we do what we can, but we can try to do more, whatever, however, whenever. Let’s share ideas as to how we have, or could, retain or propagate habitat…we can still debate with each other, and all that. One idea I have and have done is to help a farmer see the light as far as turning an old farmhouse into a hunters lodge, help him generate revenue, before you know it he’s helping his patrons find ground to hunt, even modifying bits and pieces of his own…help them make a bit of $ from this sport…and make some friends…and get them somewhat vested in this passion of ours…it helps their deer herd as well…and other critters…preaching to the choir, I’m sure…🍻👍☀️

So, after all the blather (much of it my doing), here’s the thing that matters, knowing we all love pheasant hunting, no matter the reasons: we each need to do something to improve things, if we can…join conservation organizations…encourage a private landowner to look into various programs through FSA/NRCS to enroll land, even marginal land, back into habitat…take a kid hunting, especially a kid/grandkid of the farmer who is letting you hunt…(done it, it’s cool and does lots of good!!!!)…I doubt many of us on this board ONLY just hunt without regard to how we can preserve the wild places…we do what we can, but we can try to do more, whatever, however, whenever. Let’s share ideas as to how we have, or could, retain or propagate habitat…we can still debate with each other, and all that. One idea I have and have done is to help a farmer see the light as far as turning an old farmhouse into a hunters lodge, help him generate revenue, before you know it he’s helping his patrons find ground to hunt, even modifying bits and pieces of his own…help them make a bit of $ from this sport…and make some friends…and get them somewhat vested in this passion of ours…it helps their deer herd as well…and other critters…preaching to the choir, I’m sure…🍻👍☀️
Great comments & great idea! In the spirit of tongue-in-cheek social media snarkiness, I'll say you did that wrong & are obviously trying to hijack your own thread. :ROFLMAO:;)
Please copy/paste the guts of it & start a new thread somewhere so we can keep track of it & others can search it more easily. Or don't. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks...I will start a new thread...good idea....another thing that gets farmers' attention is showing up in the spring or summer, for whatever reason...oftentimes they have more time to BS then...no pressure regarding hunting access, either...they understand just how committed you are when you do this. Let me tell you, I enjoy the hell out of being there in April or May, especially when it's 45 and wind off Lake Superior...and it's 70-80 and sunny in SD! I smoke LOTS of pork shoulder, including at the farmhouse in SD...the owner of that house has become a best friend, and he loves the pulled pork...back in July I went out there and smoked 16 lbs on the weber at the farmhouse...rubbed with yellow mustard, dry rub, smoked over wet hickory...it netted about 8-9 lbs which I repackaged into quart sized zip locks...about 4-5 of those, which he froze and can pull one at as he pleases...he did when his brothers were back home a month ago and they used it to make nachos as well as sandwiches...they called and I got an earful about the pulled pork. It's fun doing it when he shows up and sees the smoke pouring out of the grill, he's seen this a few dozen times before, most likely! A small thing that expresses my appreciation for what he does...

Last edited:
Gotten some reports in past few days about chick sightings…decent reports…
@benelli-banger - Was this east river or west river? I’ve only seen 1 brood in west river this year but then again I’ve only seen a brood one other time in my life.

For a couple years I would just stay off the upland hunting sites just before the season opener because anything less than stellar report’s would rob me of the enjoyment I get from the anticipation of the season.

Just a reminder that a lousy season in South Dakota can be better than a fantastic season in a different state (Illinois I’m looking at you).

@benelli-banger - Was this east river or west river? I’ve only seen 1 brood in west river this year but then again I’ve only seen a brood one other time in my life.

For a couple years I would just stay off the upland hunting sites just before the season opener because anything less than stellar report’s would rob me of the enjoyment I get from the anticipation of the season.

Just a reminder that a lousy season in South Dakota can be better than a fantastic season in a different state (Illinois I’m looking at you).
Pennsylvania "put and take" we see you. I will be disappointed if at least one SD rooster doesn't get whacked by me, hit the ground, bounce up and keep on running.

I frequent a few other sites, the contributors tend to be more friendly with one another. Seems like friction occurs here fairly rapidly, as though we’ve all had several shots of tequila or whiskey before our first post!🤬
I'm friendly, but I don't pay anybody a dime to hunt. Thumbs down on that!!!

Back