SD farmers to plant more corn & beans....

moellermd

Super Moderator
I wonder were the acres are coming from. I bet it ain't from small grains acres.

Part of the regular cycle, high commodity prices always brings a surge in spring planted acres. I am sure that this will be mirrored across the entire country. Interesting to see how far down the projected yeild will drive the futures price. I hope all those acres were sold at 6.00+ for future delivery, I have a feeling that by harvest, the price will be much lower.

The USDA report for estimated planting has SD Number 1 for increased corn acres. The vast majortiy of the increase over last year is the prevented planting acres from last year. How soon everyone forgets how wet SD was last spring and the fact that thousands of acres never got planted last year. This is really not a huge shift in acres for SD just a plan to get everything planted this year. Hell in just three guys I know, there is over 10,000 acres of corn that didn't get planted last year from Miller to Aberdeen, because it was to wet.

Last edited:
The USDA report for estimated planting has SD Number 1 for increased corn acres. The vast majortiy of the increase over last year is the prevented planting acres from last year. How soon everyone forgets how wet SD was last spring and the fact that thousands of acres never got planted last year. This is really not a huge shift in acres for SD just a plan to get everything planted this year. Hell in just three guys I know, there is over 10,000 acres of corn that didn't get planted last year from Miller to Aberdeen, because it was to wet.

So they are comparing the actual # planted and the intended planting for this year?

Excellent point about the PP acres last year related to increase in acres planted this year.

Good question as well Moeller.

The report is based on what was planted in 2010 and what is intended to be planted in 2011.

It does confuse the issue of CRP expiring/re-enrollment acres and the prevent plant acres.

My gut is that overall, crop acres will expande in 2011 even if all PP acres where planted last year and that we will lose some CRP acres also adding to increased crop acres.

If SD could actually reduce crop acre to habitat acres now that would be something.

The greensheet had an article on the increase in corn acres. They said the increase will come from hay, oats, and barley. The small grains might be absorbing more of hit than I expected.

The greensheet had an article on the increase in corn acres. They said the increase will come from hay, oats, and barley. The small grains might be absorbing more of hit than I expected.

Interesting. My initial thought was that I didn't realize anybody was growing much oats and barley and conversion of hay to corn is sod busting acres (pasture to crop).

Back