Scouting for Pheasant

Like turkey hunting, you can scout with your ears. Be at a high vantage point in the area you think you might hunt at first light. Many of the roosters will cackle as they leave their roosting field and fly to food. It is best on a clear, calm morning. But it must be at first light. Get there any later and you're wasting your time. This works in the evening as well, right at sunset as they fly to roost field. This will give you a good idea of the number of birds in a given spot and if you want to hunt there or not.

I like to scout by looking at the backgrounds of the pheasant photos my buddies post on Facebook and try to see if these locations are something I recognize. This works even better for secret fishing spots when the photos in the boat display their 15" graphs with the lake map up on the screen.

I like to scout by looking at the backgrounds of the pheasant photos my buddies post on Facebook and try to see if these locations are something I recognize. This works even better for secret fishing spots when the photos in the boat display their 15" graphs with the lake map up on the screen.
You joke about that but I employ a similar tactic haha when Pheasants Forever and similar shows post things on YouTube, I try and figure out where they are. Ironically I watched a video 2 weeks ago and they were hunting a WMA that I've been hunting for about 15 years. Don't knock it till you try it haha

Absolutely...I pause and freeze frame any YouTube hunting videos in places I plan to hunt. That stuff can be gold. Look for road signs or an structures that stantout in the background.

None of you are allowed to hunt my spots because you noticed an identifying sign or other landmark on one of my videos. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
(I'll have to be more conscious of that in the future.:unsure:)
You will have to use the blurred circle feature to protect those secret spots. I hunt near some wind towers which is a dead give away. 🤣

You can never be too sure. He's pretty sneaky.
Facts.

In all seriousness, I've pondered this before and have pinpointed some spots I see on YouTube, but never hunt them. One of the great things about having public land locally is that I don't need to hunt outside of my own quad-county area to have a successful adventure in the outdoors.

Yeah... truth be told it is a rare case when noticing a landmark really works but studying the videos helps to show you the kind of cover the birds are flushing from. Earlier today I watched Eric Forrester YouTube on grouse hunting in Montana 2022 the video already this season. He never mentions where he is in Montana, but he shows flush after flush and you really get a picture on the kind of cover the sharpies are in. Great info for someone with little grouse experience like myself

Back