Schnee's Boots

Anyone here have a pair of Schnee's Boots. I'm thinking about buying a pair in the off season, my 16 year old boots are ready to replace. My co-worker swears by them.

What do you think?

I have Russel South 40 and love them! Had them about 8-9 years, most boots don't last 2 season with me...

The boots I have had for 16 years are Danner lace up leather boots. I bought them in December 1993, the week after I graduated from college. I have had them rebuilt twice. I think they cost $179 back then. They were very durable and were suppose to be water proof and insulated. They were fine for pheasant hunting unless it was wet, and they were very cold in the deer stand. They were very tough boots just not waterproof and not warm. The Schnee 16" boots with felt liner and rubber bottom look to me to be exactly what I want, and they are rebuildable also. Danners simular to the ones that lasted me 16 years (with two rebuilds) cost close to $300 now and I bet are not water proof after the first year.

I also had a pair of leather, lace-up Danner boots that lasted 15 years. They were waterproof until the last year. I replaced them with a pair of Danner Pronghorns that lasted 2 weeks. Dissatisfied with the cheaper, Chinese-made Pronghorns, under warranty I paid the upgrade to replace them with a pair of American-made Danner Raptors, which have been waterproof for 6 years. Late bird season here in Wisconsin was wet and while chasing woodcock and grouse my last time out, I was stepping through forest puddles up to my ankles without a leak. Made in China - a nice fitting boot, but they'll let you down. I'm now a firm believer in Made in America, at least where Danner is concerned.

I have been wearing Schnee's for a little over 10 years now. 2 boots, both Elk Hunter 10 inch models (which is now the Hunter II I believe). I had the first boot rebuilt after 7 years and use it for pheasant hunting in snow or muddy conditions and the other boot which is my cold weather Elk boot.
To me, they are indespensible. I put a pair of Superfeet insoles in them and can walk/hike all day. For cold or wet weather, I don't think that you can beat pack boots. In warmer conditions your feet may sweat a bit more in them but it is negligible from my experience. I have other boots (La Sportiva Makalu, and a pair of Whites Smokejumpers) that I wear in more favorable conditions.

I have a friend with a pair of White's packs and they are very similar, same excellent quaility. Do yourself a favor a get a pair. They really are the perfect pheasant boot.

Winchester21, sounds like we have a lot in common when it comes to boots and shooting full choke. Let me guess you like Busch Light, and a Crown and Water once and a while also?

Noplclkneb

If you want to consider an alternative to the traditional leather boot I have a pair of Muck boots I love.

http://www.muckbootcompany.com/outdoor-sporting

The pair I have looks like the Edgewater or Wetland model. Got them at Gander.

The good: Warm, waterproof, calf high so you can get a little deeper, easy to put on. Best of all it is like hunting in slippers, very comfortable!

The not as good: Not as much ankle support. When walking up hill in snow I feel the traction could be a little better.

I switched to these for all my pheasant hunting except maybe really early season. I always find myself getting into the slews to either chase birds up or retreive them. I can get deeper than a 16" boot without getting wet.

Belleville boots with a gortex lining, I am a rookie when it comes to pheasant hunting but when it comes to boots I have a little experience. I would swear by these boots I have had them for 10 years climbed the mountains of Afghan in em and walked the fields of KS looking for birds. They kept my feet dry, warm and they are pretty light weight. Just a rookies input.

Winchester21, sounds like we have a lot in common when it comes to boots and shooting full choke. Let me guess you like Busch Light, and a Crown and Water once and a while also?

Noplclkneb

Am I really that easy to read?!?!
Yeah, I'd say that I appreciate the finer things in life, especially Busch light and a tight fly line. I'm easy to please.

Come out to Colorado anytime my man.

"Elk Hunter" Boots

I have been wearing Schnee's for a little over 10 years now. 2 boots, both Elk Hunter 10 inch models (which is now the Hunter II I believe). I had the first boot rebuilt after 7 years and use it for pheasant hunting in snow or muddy conditions and the other boot which is my cold weather Elk boot.
To me, they are indespensible. I put a pair of Superfeet insoles in them and can walk/hike all day. For cold or wet weather, I don't think that you can beat pack boots. In warmer conditions your feet may sweat a bit more in them but it is negligible from my experience. I have other boots (La Sportiva Makalu, and a pair of Whites Smokejumpers) that I wear in more favorable conditions.

I have a friend with a pair of White's packs and they are very similar, same excellent quaility. Do yourself a favor a get a pair. They really are the perfect pheasant boot.

I believe your Elk Hunter boots are Danner, a brand Schnee's sells as well as some boots branded with their own name. Looks like the Schnee's branded boots are basically rubber boots with leather uppers whereas the Danner Elk Hunters are all leather 10 inchers with 600 gram Thinsulate. The Elk Hunters are great upland cold weather boots. I wore mine pheasant hunting this weekend in the 8 inches of snow in western KS.

Just picked up a pair of short schnee's after getting tired of my LL Bean boots wearing out after a year. I use a pair like that for bumming around the driveway and yard in winter and some deer stalking in the fall.

Seem pretty well made and tougher construction than the Beans but they are taking a while to break in, and are NOT easy to get on. Tongue does not open very wide at all and it's like pulling on a pair of one size too short cowboy boots, even though the fit is pretty good once you get your foot in the things. Hoping they will loosen up and get more comfortable with time.

Schees pac boots

I see this thread is a little old, but for you Pac booters, can you tell me just how cold it can be and still have warm feet in your pacs? I've been looking for something with good ankle support but warm enough to be comfortable in temps from about about -20 (staying somewhat active) and about 0 if I am perhaps sitting around.

The Schnees Hunter II looks like what I need and they say there temp ratings are "real world" vs what we often see in some catalogs. I know I've had boots rated at -45 and even with lots of toe room, dry feet, and walking, I was only comfy to about 23 ABOVE. After reading a Cabelas Field Guide article on warmth they said that a boot listed 0 to -25 is really only warm to just below freezing. Hmmm, 32 above to -25 is a huge difference. In my business that would be considered false advertising.

Thanks for any comments.

Back