Scheel's Pheasant Max loads

There is a reason we have a tendency to shoot pheasants in the butt, but it has nothing to do with the velocity of your shells. The human eye has the tendency to focus on the center of anything that it see when it is crossing or going away at a slight angle. (If you have ever mountain biked rough trails you already know that if you focus on the tree, you will hit the tree) The center of a rooster pheasant with a long tail on a crossing shot is his butt. I've been shooting roosters for 50 years and I still do that if I am startled. Concentrate on looking at the white collar around his neck and you will kill more birds.

This is good advice ^^^. I have taken shooting lessons and the things you learn from an expert very interesting. I will also state that using a higher quality of shotgun shell will definitely help the average to below average shooter. If you are using steel that lacks the "punch" downrange
then slightly off target shots will result in wounded birds that are most often never recovered. It amazes me that so many hunters spend thousands on quality shotguns and do buy the best shotgun shell they can. For me, my shotgun shell is my FIRST choice. Shotgun shells like the Hevishot
Hevi Bismuth Upland #5's are lethal on flushing pheasants. The density of these non-toxic shells give you the ability to be "slightly off market" still cleanly kill the birds. They simply hit harder and hold their patterns better down range. In short, the shotgun shell matters.

Those things are spendy.I never pay more than 10 dollars for a box of shells.
They really are not "spendy" when you factor in how effective they are and how they generally reduce the need for additional shots to recover cripples. What I am saying is this, I have found that I use LESS shells to take my limit of birds since I switched to using Hevishot shotgun shells.
My kills are cleaner (one shot and the bird is dead NO CRIPPLES) and my range has been extended simply by switching to Hevishot. For me, it's
a WIN. Addressing your "spendy" comment like this.........I shoot fewer shots (less shells) which equates to a lower overall cost for me.

They really are not "spendy" when you factor in how effective they are and how they generally reduce the need for additional shots to recover cripples. What I am saying is this, I have found that I use LESS shells to take my limit of birds since I switched to using Hevishot shotgun shells.
My kills are cleaner (one shot and the bird is dead NO CRIPPLES) and my range has been extended simply by switching to Hevishot. For me, it's
a WIN. Addressing your "spendy" comment like this.........I shoot fewer shots (less shells) which equates to a lower overall cost for me.
That's a good point. I've never tried heavy shot.Maybe I will buy a box. I usually shoot 12 gauge 1 1-4 oz. Lead Federal, no.4

Everyone in our group has switched to Hevishot exclusively. We do not shoot as many times to get our bird which makes us use less ammo. It's pretty simple if you step back and look at it in total. Also, I think it's more responsible to take the bird as quickly and cleanly as possible. I might pay "a little more" per box but in the end I am saving money using the Hevishot. When you factor in what it costs to hunt the ammunition is one of the least expensive components of that equation.

I my opinion the best shells are the ones you have confidence in. I reload my own, nothing special, 1 1/4 #5s. When I miss, I generally know why. My friend shoots 1 3/8 fancy somethings and I kill birds almost 4:1. It isn't the shells fellas. If you only have 3 pellets hitting the bird, it is likely on the edge of the pattern or at distance. The worse your shooting ability, the more it might sense to throw the most shot you can at them. I would never use a heavier load, I eat them and they are plenty shot-up already. The fella using something less than a 12 gauge, I can see them maxing-out the payload...but you are likely a good shot if you backed-off from a 12 gauge...or getting older and are looking to shed pounds.

Back