Scaled quail range?

Hobie1026

So, once again I'm thinking about loading up the dog and trying to find my first Colorado scalie. I'm up in the Jefferson county area. Would someone please be kind enough to let me know what counties I need to get to in order to start finding coveys? How far south and how far west do I need to go?

I'm hoping for first hand accounts; I have the maps from the DOW and I don't see a county by county breakdown of quail harvests. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I got into coveys of scalies in Baca county, as far east and far south. But that was a long time a go. The ranchers who let me hunt, said they were abundant for a time, then weather, or whatever would change, and it was like none were ever there! Weather changed again,and they were back. I am sure we ran some across the Kansas and New Mexico border, at least we could see border from there. I also got into them just north of El Raton, New Mexico in Colorado. Wear track shoes than are thorn resistant, and all the water you can carry. Hunt any water source, like creeks, guzzlers, dirt tanks, about a 100 yards out. If their there, you see them.

bent county, swa's along U.S. 50 and the comanche grasslands. You wouldnt think anything would live in the scrubby grass/ sand that ive found them in. it's true that they seem abundant some years and non-existant the next.ive read several articles theres a good amount in new mexico,with bob whites sharing their range. havent been to N.M though , always wondered about a winter trip to new mexico or arizona . the seasons run to the middle of february

Thanks pointshoot! I'd give you some leads on where I found quail in AZ but last time I was there my hunting spot had turned into a subdivision. Unbelievable how fast the 'burbs are sprawling out into the desert.

Back