Saw my first Calif. rooster in a year

calamari

Unfortunately, it was in a riparian area at the Diamond Oaks Golf Course in the middle of all the housing development in Roseville. Still, it was a crowing rooster.

RE: Saw my first Calif rooster

We spotted a couple in an empty field just north of the Roseville Galleria a couple weeks ago. Have talked to several guys that said that area used to be prime pheasant hunting before all the development. Cool to see them in urban areas like that.

We heard a bunch crowing on the delta last time we were out there, also heard a few around Mendota Slough in the spring. Just now starting to see some quail broods ranging in size from glof balls to 3/4 grown, broods are all over the chart from 2-10 chicks.

Re: quail

There are 2 groups of chicks between my 3.5 acres and my neighbors places. 10-15 in each group. They are about 1/2 size and flying strong

We heard a bunch crowing on the delta last time we were out there, also heard a few around Mendota Slough in the spring. Just now starting to see some quail broods ranging in size from glof balls to 3/4 grown, broods are all over the chart from 2-10 chicks.

Where at on the Delta? We used to hunt the islands west of Stockton starting in the 1970s. Used to be full of pheasants almost everywhere you went in the asparagus and sugar beet fields. Beginning in the mid 1990's the populations began to rapidly decline and we stopped hunting the big fields. In many areas, there are few left there.

We launch off 8 mile road out of Stockton (Paradise cove i think) and see and hear birds right from the ramp. I heard most of them around King island and honker cut.

We launch off 8 mile road out of Stockton (Paradise cove i think) and see and hear birds right from the ramp. I heard most of them around King island and honker cut.

That's great you are hearing them. That is just north of the areas we hunted which were north and south of Highway 4

I hunt the refuge system quite a bit in Los Banos. If you ever see a guy out there with a few springers feel free to say hi.

I hunt the refuge system quite a bit in Los Banos. If you ever see a guy out there with a few springers feel free to say hi.

I will say hello. I hunt a lot of pheasant at China Island because I live so close and I know that refuge very well. I've also hunted Salt Slough a couple of times. I also hunt San Luis NWS. I think it is underrated for pheasants. The cover is not too thick and they don't have huge fields that are difficult to corral birds in.

Did you hunt the refuge system for pheasants last year? How did you do?

Not bad, my brother and I shot a couple roosters at Salt Slough and a couple at LB. We move plenty of birds every time we go so it is always interesting even if nothing makes it to the bag. I need to start figuring out San Luis someday so I have more options, I've been trying to get my nephew out so i can see the cover at Mud Slough too.

You did well. The numbers taken has gone down in recent years. I talked to the DFG guys at Salt Slough station last year they said the number of birds taken was low. I had my best year last year seeing birds. I should have hit the limit by early morning but had some bad luck. We saw alot of roosters. Me and another guy got a couple of birds but missed a couple and lost a couple that ran on us in dense cover. Not having a good dog didn't help matters.

Hoping this year isn't as bad as it looks with there being no water. There is a lot of pressure so I'm seriously contemplating club only hunts so that I give the wild birds some chance to hopefully survive and maybe one day recover.

Hoping this year isn't as bad as it looks with there being no water. There is a lot of pressure so I'm seriously contemplating club only hunts so that I give the wild birds some chance to hopefully survive and maybe one day recover.

Where do you usually hunt wild birds? Your not hunting birds this year will have little to do with the overall pheasant population. Hunters are only taking surplus roosters. The decline in pheasants in California is due to a number of other factors and unfortunately, at least in my opinion, the vanishing wild pheasant populations on private lands is probably going to stay that way.

Where do you usually hunt wild birds? Your not hunting birds this year will have little to do with the overall pheasant population. Hunters are only taking surplus roosters. The decline in pheasants in California is due to a number of other factors and unfortunately, at least in my opinion, the vanishing wild pheasant populations on private lands is probably going to stay that way.

Generally speaking that's true that one hunter doesn't affect much but hunting stresses bird populations that are already under a lot of pressure from poor habitat and the drought. Taking surplus birds is a concept that doesn't seem right to me but I know that compensatory mortality is what agency biologists hang their hats on to justify hunting depressed animal populations. Look at how well it's worked on the Bodie Hills population of Sage Grouse.
Good for you Beniciahd for being willing to give up a year of hunting to hopefully benefit the population as a whole.

I've seen more pheasant this year than I have the last 5. I've seen 4 on my way to Willows and a couple on the 99 by Oroville.

I've seen more pheasant this year than I have the last 5. I've seen 4 on my way to Willows and a couple on the 99 by Oroville.

That's way more, as in 6 more, than I've seen out in the farm land! Sad state of affairs when seeing 6 birds sticks in your mind.

That's way more, as in 6 more, than I've seen out in the farm land! Sad state of affairs when seeing 6 birds sticks in your mind.

It's pretty sad to see. There is some great cover in the area but the birds are just not there. The oroville wildlife area has some great cover but the only time I see birds there is after one of there random plants. I feel like OWA has been focusing mostly on duck and dove habitat,which does look good.

I really haven't seen a huge drop off in pheasant numbers down here. I dont remember moving less than 5 or 6 birds in a day last season and had days where we moved over 30 and the hen to rooster ratio was pretty good. I have a friend who lives in LB that says he's seen a few broods on the ground with 5-8 chicks. The laws of diminishing return protects them pretty well, besides opening weekend and the Thanksgiving plant I don't expect to be battling any orange armies out there.

Generally speaking that's true that one hunter doesn't affect much but hunting stresses bird populations that are already under a lot of pressure from poor habitat and the drought. Taking surplus birds is a concept that doesn't seem right to me but I know that compensatory mortality is what agency biologists hang their hats on to justify hunting depressed animal populations. Look at how well it's worked on the Bodie Hills population of Sage Grouse.
Good for you Beniciahd for being willing to give up a year of hunting to hopefully benefit the population as a whole.

I understand your point. I believe in that theory. I live on a ranch and our area used to be full of pheasant habitat at one time. Nobody really hunted here over the years and the pheasants have disappeared

Back