Sandhills dove?

GSP

I'm in the process of putting together an early Sept trip to the Sandhills for sharpies and chickens. Due to the heat, I am considering spending some of the afternoon shooting AT doves over the stock tanks while the dogs rest.

Being from MI, a state so backward that the dove is protected..., I have never had the pleasure to shoot one. I have read on line that it isn't uncommon to put decoys out on the windmills and wait. When doing this, does one need to be camoflauged? From the pics I saw, there wasn't a tree in sight to break up a hunter's background. Any other tips or tricks I should know?

Thanks all!

you don't need decoys, just need to find a stock tank they are using for water, spillage should show tracks......camo does help, sit against something that breaks your outline, doves have good eyesight and are cautious if they have been shot at much. watch out for rattlers near water sources.......

Thanks for the tip. Do you just sit against the stock tank to break up your outline?

find a place at least 15-20 yards away from the stock tank......you don't want to spook the incomng birds, they are used to seeing a clear landing zone around their watering hole, that is their focus area, don't be in it.

GSP if you are heading to the Sand Hills a word of advice.

Bring along a GPS system. It is extremely easy to get lost in those hills. You will not have any point of referance.

Also if you are going to Halsey NF, grab one of the maps. It will have the locations of the windmills and the number of the windmill. Each windmill will be clearly marked when you see it.

One last thing. If heading to Halsey bring a fishing pole. They have a pretty good little pond their to fish at.

Thanks Live2Hunt. We actually are planning to visit Halsey, that and probably the Valentine NWR. And given that it could very well hit 90 during the day, we are planning to bring along the fishing gear for when/if it gets too hot for the dogs. Grouse, dove, fish... Mixed bag style. :D

GSP, if you are heading into the hills from the North. You may want to consider hunting up around Merritt Reservoir.

Their is a national forest up their but I have yet to understand why it is called a forest???? Lots of open grass.

Merritt is arguably the best fishing lake in the state. The lakes in the refuge are pretty good lakes to fish. (bass and pike mostly)
The town of Valentine is a nice sized town with some quality motels (dog friendly)
Or you can camp at Merritt.
Valentine Wildlife refuge does have grouse, but they also have some pheasant.
The two look very similar (juvenile pheasant and hens I mean) Myself I have never seen a pheasant up around Merritt.
Consider taking boots for the dogs and a good pair of hemostats is a must. Their is a plant called the Sandhill Muhly Cactus. I have found more of them to the South, and they will stick to anything that touches them.

It will likely be very warm, it will be very dry. Hard on a dogs nose. Bring lots of water and I would suggest chasing grouse earlier in the day.

:cheers:

Thanks for the hospitality guys. I appreciate it.

We're counting on it reaching mid 80s to 90. So yah, we're looking for some afternoon activities, hence the fishing and dove hunting. I have been reading about the Merit Reservoir. Sounds awesome. Are some of the smaller reservoirs scattered throughout worth fishing?

Thanks for the tip about hen phz vs sharpie. I agree, they're extremely difficult to judge on the wing. Huns are even harder for me. It would seem though that the phz would be in the lower lying/wetter areas though, no?

I've also heard that the sandhills does have a fair amount of little slews and water to help cool a dog off. True?

I'm really getting excited about this trip. Kinda starting to focus on the Valentine NWR and the Halsey NF. Sounds like some rugged natural land where a guy has to work for his birds. That's my style. :D

GPS, not at all trying to be a smart aleck.

I am not sure which reservoirs around the Valentine WLR you are thinking about. Their a boat load of small lakes in that area. The thing to kinda remember is they are not real deep and have a gradual slopping edge to the small lakes. Obviously all sand bottom.
Yes the fishing in some of those lakes is great and odds of seeing anyone while you are fishing those small lakes is slim.

You are correct about the pheasant and the wetter areas. Didn't mean to imply anything, you seem kinda like me in the respect you would like to not accidentally shoot the wrong bird. Some people are surprised to find pheasant in those hills. They are there, just not really talked about ;)

Halsey is rugged country. Not in the respect it is broken country with rocky land but rather it has serious hills and the footing is sometimes questionable. I got my truck stuck in Halsey one grouse season. Trying to exit those hills in the dark was a white knuckle experience I do not wish to do again.

The "forest" up around Merritt is also very similar terrain, it just has less of those cactus.

Halsey (the city) has limited motels and places to eat. That area of Nebraska is some of the most remote you can find in the state. (the Dismal River up their is really pretty country) Not sure if you wish to camp or motel. Halsey NF has some nice primitive camp sites, and until deer season they should be pretty empty about that time of year.

Water, the water table is the hills is very high year round, more so in the refuge than Halsey or Meritt. So yes you will find wet areas for the pups. Also their is a great deal of stock tanks and wind mills all over.

Still I would consider grabbing plenty of water as when it is warm and you are on the top of a hill, that stock tank looks a long waise off..

The ranchers up their are some of the friendliest people I have ever met. They...umm how to politely say...are not the most politically correct. If you are inclined to ask permission to grouse or dove hunt only you will probably be allowed to do that. But they are pretty big on the subtle forms of respect. If inclined to ask permission, I suggest being extra polite.
They can tell you exactly where to find the grouse on their ranches.

I really enjoy chasing grouse in those hills but I will say it is the most demanding hunting I have ever done...bring your light weight scatter gun is my advice.

GPS, not at all trying to be a smart aleck.

I am not sure which reservoirs around the Valentine WLR you are thinking about. Their a boat load of small lakes in that area. The thing to kinda remember is they are not real deep and have a gradual slopping edge to the small lakes. Obviously all sand bottom.
Yes the fishing in some of those lakes is great and odds of seeing anyone while you are fishing those small lakes is slim.

You are correct about the pheasant and the wetter areas. Didn't mean to imply anything, you seem kinda like me in the respect you would like to not accidentally shoot the wrong bird. Some people are surprised to find pheasant in those hills. They are there, just not really talked about ;)

Halsey is rugged country. Not in the respect it is broken country with rocky land but rather it has serious hills and the footing is sometimes questionable. I got my truck stuck in Halsey one grouse season. Trying to exit those hills in the dark was a white knuckle experience I do not wish to do again.

The "forest" up around Merritt is also very similar terrain, it just has less of those cactus.

Halsey (the city) has limited motels and places to eat. That area of Nebraska is some of the most remote you can find in the state. (the Dismal River up their is really pretty country) Not sure if you wish to camp or motel. Halsey NF has some nice primitive camp sites, and until deer season they should be pretty empty about that time of year.

Water, the water table is the hills is very high year round, more so in the refuge than Halsey or Meritt. So yes you will find wet areas for the pups. Also their is a great deal of stock tanks and wind mills all over.

Still I would consider grabbing plenty of water as when it is warm and you are on the top of a hill, that stock tank looks a long waise off..

The ranchers up their are some of the friendliest people I have ever met. They...umm how to politely say...are not the most politically correct. If you are inclined to ask permission to grouse or dove hunt only you will probably be allowed to do that. But they are pretty big on the subtle forms of respect. If inclined to ask permission, I suggest being extra polite.
They can tell you exactly where to find the grouse on their ranches.

I really enjoy chasing grouse in those hills but I will say it is the most demanding hunting I have ever done...bring your light weight scatter gun is my advice.

all the above is real good info, all i can add is you will likely not see another hunter, be prepared, if you break down or get stuck, it is miles between ranch homes.

My first trip into the hills, 1975, we had 3 flat tires, and carried 2 spares. There have always been more services in Thedford, than Halsey. Expect prices to be high, gas, groceries, etc. When the above poster says miles between ranch houses, read that as tens of miles! Nobody may go down the sand rut trail you are broke down on for days or weeks, depending upon whether the cattle are off that particular 5000-7000 Acre pasture, or whenever the next hunter passes by. If you breakdown, be prepared to save yourself and provisioned, ice, etc. for the duration.

I have been told I am not real forceful when I try to warn people about stuff...
yea it is desolate in the Hills, be prepared.

But it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

This is sounding better and better. I do like an adventure. Prior to becoming obsessed with bird dogs, I did a fair amount of archery elk hunting the backcountry of CO and NM. Away from the rig and civilization for 5-7 days with only my backpack and bow. Good times.

I'm planning on camping. Hopefully on or near some water that I can wet a line in during the heat of the day. Some of the primitive campsites are looking pretty good.

GPS, I am sure their is no on the water camping at Halsey. I am also sure the refuge does not allow any camping at all.
I know their are some state parks/ camping in the area of the refuge.
I feel the best camping is up at Merritt. This is because you can camp back in where you like. Right up to the very waters edge if you so desire. Also last time I tent camped up their it was free camping. The state camp grounds require a park entry fee and normally a campground fee.

This is the area I would go camp at and hunt normally (to the West) if I am up that way. (assuming this link come through)
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hl=en&tab=wl

I would normally catch Walleye back in there or big Bluegill. I am not very good at Catfishing but I have seen some big FlatHeads come from that reservoir also.

Other fellas go up the Southern arm and seem to do real well on the Small Mouth Bass, and cats.

You talking about this is making me wanna take a Spring trip up to that area..:D

As for people, I saw them only when I would go to the trading post at the face of the dam.

All good advice. I also reccommend Merritt, the state campgrounds are very nice, the primitive sites you'll probably have to yourself and the showers at the full resource campground to the south are the nicest camp showers I've been in. Bring quarters. Didn't much care for the attitude of the guy at the resort though.

I check the crop of the first bird I shoot and that helps me zero in to the right stuff. I also try and hunt windmill to windmill so I can always keep the dogs cooled off. VERY careful selection of gear makes or breaks teh hunting. Took me alot of trips west to get right, I'll be glad to share what not to wear and bring.

Great trip, very relaxing.

Wow, I couldn't have asked for a more welcome response. You all have given me a lot of direction. Very nice.

I have been slammed at work as of late and just haven't had time to sit down and digest all of this. But I have saved every PM and made note of every tid bit of advice. Before I ask too many more questions, I want to process what's been thrown at me. I had kind of ruled out Merrit due to the Trading Post, but it appears I need to take another look at some primitive sites.

In the mean time, should any of you find yourself in N MI wanting to give the ruffed species of grouse a spin, shoot me a pm. The only thing they have in common is the name, but they're still a helluva lotta fun. :D

n the mean time, should any of you find yourself in N MI wanting to give the ruffed species of grouse a spin, shoot me a pm. The only thing they have in common is the name, but they're still a helluva lotta fun. :D

Man I went on vacation in the UP one time when I had Springers. Took a walk in some woods.

Started to bump that flying jets....how the heck does a fella hit one of those I thought.

If I ever got a chance to go back I will take my versatile dog (he points) and drop you a line.

Hopefully I loaded the some pics of the Sandhills correctly. The hills and openness of the area are more spectacular than the pics show. I have only hunted public ground in the Sand Hills but have gotten into birds every time. I have seen antelope each time as well. Good worn-in boots and water are a must. Take your time walking otherwise these "small hills" will kill you! Good luck if you make it out!

Hopefully I loaded the some pics of the Sandhills correctly. The hills and openness of the area are more spectacular than the pics show. I have only hunted public ground in the Sand Hills but have gotten into birds every time. I have seen antelope each time as well. Good worn-in boots and water are a must. Take your time walking otherwise these "small hills" will kill you! Good luck if you make it out!

If? Oh I'm comin, come hell or high water, I'm comin! :D

Great pics. Makes a guy wonder where to start... I can only imagine my young EP stretching out on that terrain. Can't wait!

Back