Said "NEVER AGAIN", But Here I Go!

henhenROOSTER!!!

Swore (literally, in more ways than one) that I would NEVER, EVER again swim amongst the Opening-Day orange hordes - but it's been a long time (too long), bird numbers & habitat/cover are on the upswing from the pathetic/pitiful last couple years around my neck of the woods, and I've got the itch for a little rub/wallow in tradition, Americana, camaraderie & nostalgia (we'll see after the fact about that last one)... :eek: :D :p

All in all not expecting too much, so can't be too disappointed. Will at least get in some good scouting & a bird or two brought back to hand in the pooch's maw would be a pleasant plus! :cheers:

Good luck HHR. I'm on the road pointed north about 7 hrs for tomorrows opener myself. :cheers:

Welp, good thing I wasn't expecting too much. Felt nice to be afield after wild roosters again, although sure am wishing in hindsight right now that I would have saved my pass & waited just a few days until this week's PERFECT WEATHER CONDITIONS on Weds & Thurs!

Still scratching my head at walking some of the best cover/habitat I have ever seen anywhere in pheasant country (definitely the best anywhere around the Burlington area in years) & putting up nary a bird out of any of it. :confused:
Not a very good sign at all when EVERYONE out hunting on opening wknd is scratching & clawing for a few roosters at best like it was late-season January! It's gonna take the birds around here a lot longer than a year or two to recover from the past few years desert-moonscape & devastation, IF there is even enough brood stock left in some areas to get the job done. SAD to think how many birds I used to get up & put down in the exact same area only a few years ago. Heard on the local/rural radio station while there, that last year was the lowest pheasant harvest in 75 yrs in eastern CO & western KS. From the looks of things so far, this year ain't gonna turn out to be a whole lot better. Sure am missing some of those spoiled-rotten occasional 100-200 bird flushes & swarms of roosters exploding underfoot after the shot at the first one! :( :eek: :cool: :cheers:

I too got sick of the opener crowds, but this year had to miss it and hated every second of it. This past week I've been feeling as though I've squandered half the season away...guess time is dragging seeing all the stories and pics of everyone else doing what I was supposed to be doing on that day. Point is, guys like us need to get out for every opener we can. If crowds are the issue, I'll accept an area with a little less pressure next time around, just so I don't feel like I'm missing out.

Thanks for the report!

Back