S.d. "predator control" program

Personally I don't see how encouraging trapping is a bad idea. I hunt two farms in SD. One has consistently more birds then the other. One farm has a teenage boy that does a lot of trapping the other does not. Coincidence ? who knows I just know what I have found each year.

It seems skunks are on the rise, at least west river where we hunt.

Max found one in the face last fall and pointed on 1-2 more and a porky a couple years before. Any program that can reduce these critters is OK with me....and Max!

Predators kill prey species. We do.....
Wolves and grizzlies kill elk. Lions kill deer. Coyotes kill antelope. Varmints (of all types) kill game birds. Skunks and porkies get dogs - hell where I hunt,BIG predators could get my dogs.
After having hunted for forty years I have come to accept the critters that I compete and put up with as part of the equation.
In fact, in the face of all those bad predators - I have a freezer full of deer, elk, antelope and birds.
I do not want to lose my dogs to a big toothy four legged SOB, and will drop one in it's track if it threatens my girls if I can, but if it happens - so be it.
It's all part of the game. I do not shoot skunks, porcupines, etc. No respect for those that do.
Way way too many hunters want everything in their favor and a more sterile people oriented environment - even as they are playing in critters' environment.
A vast amount of us tough guy gun toters have become whiners and snivelers instead of adapters - as ALL hunters used to be - by necessity.
A lotta' "hunters" would be better served mall walking - it's safer, more convenient, and your dog's won't get sprayed by skunks.
I'm sure this a is a real popular viewpoint, too bad.................................................

One more thing - it's about habitat. Habitat.
Why else does Pheasants Forever call itself "The Habitat Organization"?

Last edited:
Predators kill prey species. We do.....
Wolves and grizzlies kill elk. Lions kill deer. Coyotes kill antelope. Varmints (of all types) kill game birds. Skunks and porkies get dogs - hell where I hunt,BIG predators could get my dogs.
After having hunted for forty years I have come to accept the critters that I compete and put up with as part of the equation.
In fact, in the face of all those bad predators - I have a freezer full of deer, elk, antelope and birds.
I do not want to lose my dogs to a big toothy four legged SOB, and will drop one in it's track if it threatens my girls if I can, but if it happens - so be it.
It's all part of the game. I do not shoot skunks, porcupines, etc. No respect for those that do.
Way way too many hunters want everything in their favor and a more sterile people oriented environment - even as they are playing in critters' environment.
A vast amount of us tough guy gun toters have become whiners and snivelers instead of adapters - as ALL hunters used to be - by necessity.
A lotta' "hunters" would be better served mall walking - it's safer, more convenient, and your dog's won't get sprayed by skunks.
I'm sure this a is a real popular viewpoint, too bad.................................................

One more thing - it's about habitat. Habitat.
Why else does Pheasants Forever call itself "The Habitat Organization"?

as habitat shrinks and CRP vanishes, there will be competition for land that supports birds and other game.
it is only natural for man to want to preserve what is left, which has become damn little!
i don't believe the trapping gig is going to help very much, but, yeah, these critters get shot if they are in my field.
we are all in some sort of food chain.

as habitat shrinks and CRP vanishes, there will be competition for land that supports birds and other game.
it is only natural for man to want to preserve what is left, which has become damn little!
i don't believe the trapping gig is going to help very much, but, yeah, these critters get shot if they are in my field.
we are all in some sort of food chain.

Very well said.

Predators need controlled and if nobody is hunting them and or trapping them they get too abundant. We shot 25 coons in two nights on 100 acres this year and still see plenty around. This is part of our management practice along with habitat. Nobody in my area traps them and I go tired of complaining about all the coons. SD's program is not the only solution but it is a good way to encourage more trapping and more predator control.

Back