Rust Prevention for Guns

jonnyB

This might be an interesting topic to discuss:

What tactics and products do you use to prevent your guns from rusting? And where do you store your guns - gun safe? On the wall? In a closet? In a gun case?

Your thoughts?

Between shoots they get a quick bore clean out, bore snake or similar and a wipe down barrel/action/exterior with G96 gun Treatment. This is the general procedure throughout bird season. When they are going to be put away for a while post-season, a thorough bore & action clean up and again the G96 wipe down. Then they go into a Cannon gun safe with a Golden Rod heating element. Never had any trouble except one time a Golden Rod failed in a really humid environment. Got a bit of surface rust on one gun at the back of the safe. Now I routinely check the Golden Rods every week or two just to make sure they are warm. If guns get handled, they get wiped before going back into the safe. That rust deal was pre-G96 days too; back then I was using a generic gun oil.

As for the nightstand "we don't call 911" firearms. They get checked and wiped about once every month in their resting places.

I haven’t experienced it but I have heard of some solvents removing the chemical “case hardening” on some newer guns.

I did some duck hunting on the Laguna Madre in South Texas. You cold see rust forming !! Started using Corrosionx spray. I'm totally sold. Kinda messy tho.

Light coating of gun oil and store in gun cabinets.

+1 That's all I've ever done and never had a problem with rust. Just make sure that where ever they are stored it's in a fairly dry location. Never store them in a gun case.

I clean my guns after each range visit or hunting trip. I keep a very light coat of gun oil on them. Been doing it this way for 30+ yrs and never had any rust issues.
Store your guns in a dry place. If your safe, storage locker or storage area is located in a damp area, your gun will rust from the moisture. A dehumidifiers will help with damp areas. I don't like to store guns in gun case.

Last edited:
Back