Russell Moccasins

AtTheMurph

Well I've been debating buying a pair for about 10 years and as my normal hunting partner says - "just buy the damn things already, I'm tired of hearing about it!"

I went with my brother to Berlin WI after Thanksgiving and had the owner of the place measure my feet/legs and got a pair coming in 10-15 weeks.

The place was actually closed but he was in working. We knocked o the door and he gladly opened and sat with us for 45 minutes as my dumb brother couldn't decide what colors, what leather, what height..... It was like shopping with a woman.

I myself selected the Country Squire Signature South 40. Hopefully the last boots I will have to buy. I ain't getting any younger.

Ralph, (i believe that is his name) was disappointing to work with......many years ago, he screwed my order up and it took 6 months to get it right.
i vowed never to buy anything from the guy ever again....my dentist ordered a pair of boots from him several yaers ago, same problem, couldn't believe it and the Birdshooters wear out quickly......good luck with your order.

I ordered a pair last July (the 40s) and received them in 10 weeks. I went to Berlin and had my feet measured by Doug, no issues with the order and a fantastic pair of American made boots.

I will say this, I am tough on boots and I wish I would have gotten mine with the toe caps, the uppers still look brand new but the toes look a little rough after year.

If your are expecting them to be waterproof, you'll be disappointed. The leather is high quality, but it is leather and your feet will be wet if you spend all day in the water.

For that price, they better lace themselves and wash my feet when I'm taking them off.

I've worn them or Gokey's the last 30 years. I buy only the slip on Cavaliers, with the buckle across the bridge. Lace ups bind and bruise the top of my foot, these solve that problem and feel like a comfortable pair of slippers. Unless your wading in water constantly, order triple vamp optionand your feet will as dry as the best gore tex boots out there. They will rebuild them when they wear. I have a pair of Gokey's which have been rebuilt many times, and several pair of Russell's. May be expensive but quality counts, after all a Mossberg 500 will kill birds, why buy a Browning Superposed?

So when the weardown do they charge to rebuild them??

If it's normal wear, yes. But it's reasonable. Mine last 5 to 7 years, I rotate pairs so that I don't wear the wet ones day after day, thoroughly dry the boot and use a leather cleaner conditioner like Lexol. If you order them, consider the sole options carefully, I have a pair with plantation crepe soles, feel like tennis shoes to wear, but in hilly terrain, or in and out of creek bottoms, there is not enough traction. In sandy areas or flat ground their fine. There are about 20 sole options.

I'm getting the triple vamp Country Squire/Signature bird shooters with the toe cap. I didn't do the normal country squire leather but did the a lite brown leather with a green leather piece on the heel.

I was debating the new Munson last style that is real flat, almost slipper like. I like it but it is only double vamp and I wanted the extra for dryness.

I have had many other moc toe boots (only style I will ever buy) and where I usually hunt in IN everything has a thorn, hook, spike, spear or razor edge it seems and my boots get destroyed from the toe back. Thought the toe cap would be smart.

On the rebuild, they can actually rebuild about any part of the boots when needed. Cost depends on what they are doing. Not unreasonable but I suspect if I ever need to send them back that the prices will have inflated nicely!

They also had a nice pair of Chukkas that I really wanted to buy - ostrich and alligator! Those would be sporting on a early season quail hunt!

At their prices they had better be miraculous.

Most boots last me only two sesons. Some less than that. The wife and I have been talking about Russell's for a year or so.. might just ahve to pull the trigger.

I am notorious for destroying a pair of $100+ boots every season so I bit the bullet and ordered a pair of the wingshooters. So far I love them, my feet stay drier than any gortex boots I've owned, my only complaint is they are the hardest boots I've ever had to get on and off. If they last 5 seasons I will have come out on top.

Back