Roosters Harvested???

Agreed... it is sad, but unfortunately mother nature is not in our hands. Let's just hope for a good hatch this spring and get some young ones added.

For me, this is an interesting thread. I can tell who piles the roosters on the tail gate and takes a bunch of photos, then off to do the fun things.
Well:eek: Some of you will hate me some will be OK, Oh well, I would much rather hunt with a person who kills a dozen WILD birds and hunts, then with those that have all the latest Cabelas, most expensive shotgun,piles of dead birds, the one up attitude, who kills the most, who has the most land, blah, blah.:)

I don't hate you. Husker summed it up for me pretty well. I don't keep a diary, I take a picture at the end. I can remember nearly everything about the hunt when I look at the pictures. Every year before we go on our first outing, we sit around and look at the pics from years past. I also post them on the site. Not to taunt other forum members, but as photographic evidence that I'm not blowing smoke up anyone's rear. I like to take people hunting; especially those who don't get to hunt in high-pheasant-density areas. I enjoy hunts on the E side of the state very much and we don't pile birds up on the tail-gate. When I have the choice, I'd rather hunt where there are more birds. BTW, I've never failed to enjoy one of those hunts where we piled em' up on the tailgate and my family and I have eaten every one of those birds we've piled up. I've always been a poor-boy hunting land I was very lucky to gain access to (be it through my family that are farm-hands or the state WIHA program that I'm so greatful for). I've never had a dog with papers or any formal training and I shoot a Remington 870. I do have a fancy H2O hunting vest that my wife bought from Cabella's though;-) Let's return to the topic of how many birds our fellow members have harvested, in how many days of hunting, over what kinds of dogs, and where/how many states they did it in!!!!

Last edited:
MNMTHUNTING you have busted me. Here is a picture of me loading the pheasants into the back of my pickup with a payloader. We shot so many we could not carry them all. It is a Cabelas brand payloader. I am wearing my Boyt jacket and Filson underware. I shot them with my Super-duper Beretta/Benelli/HK ultra-light composite stocked double barrel, semiauto extended magazine laser guided heat seeking shotgun :)

country.jpg
[/QUOTE

Your comments are OK and appropriate.
But your photo shop pic is at best 3rd grade level.
I can't help but wonder if that's the type stuff this site is after.:confused:

Kansasbrittany, thats good. Roosters are a renewable resource. [in good numbers I hope] I'm just saying, the whole experience is what we should look for. Appreciate the resource, gather knowledge of the pheasant and it's habitat and what we need to do YEAR AROUND. Not just while we're out there "whacking and stacking"

relationships

I have hunted on days where the land hasn't produced a single cock flush and I have hunted on days where the land produces well over 500 cock flushes. I enjoy hunting on anyday that I can hunt regardless of the birds in the bag but I also certainly enjoy the days more when I find some type of quarry in my bag rather than when my bag is empty. Anyone here that hunts over dogs that they have trained or dogs that they have developed a kindred spirit with and let destroy the house and so on and so forth that says days where they haven't killed birds are as fun as days where they have killed many is a bold face liar.

I am to the point that I just like to capture one of those birds a day and as long as my fellow friends are firing at will and having the time of their lives I am happy. To suggest that we walk through the waist high snow and slick ice to just get a slice of fresh air is kind of funny because we know that in our hearts we continue to chase these birds for the next flush. If I simply want a walk in the fresh clean air I will get on a plane and fly to Hawaii and tromp up the sides of one of those volcanic mounds of earth they call mountains and take a deep breath of air that hasn't been breathed since it moved off of the coast of Japan.

All in all, we can talk about bird numbers and the like and I do certainly enjoy the historical rants and stories because I can spin a story with the best of them.....so fellas keep em coming because my bird year is over and I have to have some type of motivation to dust of my gun next year. I also need some reason to get my toilet paper roll eating dog out of the house when it comes time for that and I am going to have a helluva time convincing him that we are just out there for a good healthy walk with friends.

BTW, the best day I have ever had was 17 cocks put to the ground and as I remember correctly only 12 were found (you can blame that on my crappy dog or just too much bird scent or absolutely piss poor shooting by me) and for none of it am i ashamed because at the time of year I was hunting and with the way over 50/50 ratio of cocks to hens I believe that I was just being a true conservationist.

We all know that the cocks can be cannibals and somebody has to take on the responsibility of sticking up for the females of the group, and contrary to my completely chauvinistic reputation I continue to do my best to stick up for the weaker of the species.

I almost forgot, the incredible relationships with kindred spirits that have developed continue to keep me coming back for more....year after year.

Whichever person said it is stupid to brag about how quick you get a limit... AGREED!!! Sure, I love pheasant dinner, but friends, dogs and memories is what it's all about for me. I would be pretty irritated if I got my limit in an hour. What would we do for the rest of the day?:cool:

I hunt north central knasas, and northwest kansas a lot and I have probably seen at least 200 pheasants hit the ground because I don't work during the hunting season and hunt a lot. Quail numbers were good in northwest kansas as well. got a lot of quail limits there.

183 in Montana

A group of five including myself shot 183 in Montana during the 2007 season,have to say this upcoming year will be way less than that as the winter is one of the worst in the last 4/5 yrs.

Intersting numbers

Question, a few guys mentioned keeping a diary or log of their hunts.
Can anyone point me to a diary designed for Hunting or an Excel spreadsheet that they could email me or? I started to keep one 3 years ago in a diary from Gander Mntn but it just seemed so generic and didnt have a spot for a picture etc etc and I just grew old of it.

Ideas?

My take of wild birds did not present any population fluctuation issues..Unfortunately my trips always seemed to coincide with hot dry weather. With 2 Goldens that = bad news

numbers

One of our group keeps the count for all and has records going back to 91 i believe as fas a diary I recall seeing one that had space for what you mentioned but I can't remember where I saw it. If I remember I'll post it on here.

I guess I am old school. We really don't have the birds around here you midwesterners do. Here if we get a bird in a day. It is great day, but it still a wonderful day. Just to get out and watch Tony work and enjoy the season while it lasts. For to me it is far to short.---Bob

I concur Bob. Up North we always said if we each bagged a bird it was a great day. But I have dreamed about being able to hunt in KS, SD etc. and be able to experience that many roosters. Actually it is my goal to take my first trip to KS this year!!!

billyb

I wish I was young enough to make trips like that. I have a friend in ND, that wants me to come hunt with him. That is 1000 miles from my home. Plus I have 5 mountain passes that I have to cross. In Oct.-Nov. that could prove very tricky. I have driven some of them in a blizzard, all I can say about that is No Thank You.---Bob

I wish I was young enough to make trips like that. I have a friend in ND, that wants me to come hunt with him. That is 1000 miles from my home. Plus I have 5 mountain passes that I have to cross. In Oct.-Nov. that could prove very tricky. I have driven some of them in a blizzard, all I can say about that is No Thank You.---Bob

I bet Tony's up for it.:D

Tony would go bonkers in those states. He must have a 6th sense, he can tell when birds are in a field. He is hard to control and all he wants to do, is go find-em. I play heck trying to keep up with him, the hills here really get me when he is like that.---Bob

Last edited:
Toad, On trips like that I like to have a relief driver, so I can take a nap and keep going. Only trouble is Tony don't have a Washington Drivers License.---Bob

Tony would go bonkers in those states. He must have a 6th sense, he can tell when birds are in a field. He is hard to control and all he wants to do, is go find-em. I play heck trying to keep up with him, the hills here really get me when he is like that.---Bob

There aren't any hills in W KS;):thumbsup: Come on out....

KB, I would still have those same 5 mountain passes to cross. It is at Billings MT. That is where I turn and work my way south into SD and KS. Or go north into ND and MN. The junction is right there.---Bob

Toad, On trips like that I like to have a relief driver, so I can take a nap and keep going. Only trouble is Tony don't have a Washington Drivers License.---Bob

I always need a relief driver. I like to work on the computer 24/7 and have a beer at rest stops!

:thumbsup:

Back