Rooster Road Trip

mnmthunting

Banned
It's time, I'm a bit earlier this year for my anual Spring journey. But what the heck! we are having an early Spring in "Rooster Country"
Travel West on I94 to Jamestown then zig zag to the NW into NE MT. Will spend the first night on some public land West of Minot. Next day and night will be in the Medicine Lake area in Montana. Then I have to travel the the Judith Basin area for a couple three days of business. (that is also pheasant country) I have a few spots to check out. . :thumbsup:
Then is off to SE MT into SW ND Take another couple days and nights there. Stay with a friend that raises LOTS of wild pheasants. He has trees by the way, many, many trees. :) Even the "dreaded, dangerous Russian Olives):eek:
From there into SD on highway 12 and back into MN.
I expect to hear many a rooster crowing mornings and evenings at my camp spots.
Keep posted. :cheers:

Leaving early Tuesday Morning, my bride is tagging along, first Spring trip out there for her. I can't believe how fired up she is. :confused:
Oh yeah the two pups will be along We'll take some long hikes in the grasslands. :)

Partly, I got a new Pick Up Pop Up camper. Like the one I've been using that was old and falling apart, so we will have some comfort.

Sounds like a fun trip Wayne, take some pics if you can.

NE Montana

how is the spring moisture looking in the Malta to Plentywood region. I see snow was falling last night in malta, but I believe that part of the state had a light winter! Finally

Driving all night I'm back home in MN. A successful trip for sure.

My Wife and I bought a home in the Judith Basin MT. :thumbsup:
Mountain views in every direction and roosters, Sharptails and Huns out the back door.

Dustin mud. The moisture through central and NE MT looks to be about perfect. Green up is everywhere especially in the Judith Basin. Ponds and creeks are mostly just a bit above average flow. Same thing for most of Western North Dakota where we traveled. Weather is pleasant and mild, pheasants a plenty.
Where ever there is old growth grasss and woody cover there are pheasants, LOT of pheasants.
My Wife started counting pheasant sightings after we left I 94 at James town. We traveled through prime country late afternoon and evening. She got very annoyed about the task after about 600 and totally lost count. :confused:

da heck???? yeah Id say it was successful! You didnt say that you were on a buying trip!! That's west of your normal stomping grounds!

I assume theres plenty of big game in the area too?

I think your wife needs some disciplinary action giving up before a thousand birds!!!
Congrats Wayne!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
da heck???? yeah Id say it was successful! You didnt say that you were on a buying trip!! That's west of your normal stomping grounds!

I assume theres plenty of big game in the area too?

I think your wife needs some disciplinary action giving up before a thousand birds!!!
Congrats Wayne!:thumbsup:

I was the one that got scolded for bringing up the idea of counting pheasants:eek:. 90% by the way were roosters. Hens blend in with the brown grasses very well. Bad new/good news Sooooo many fresh killed roosters on the roads.

UplandHntr, I figure as long as I'm moving to MT that I might as well go to my favorite area, the basin is pristine and low population. (humans) Yes this is an area of MT where elk populations are "over objective" and as a resident I'll be able to hunt them.
And I'm in the center of the state an easy drive to anywhere. :cheers:

I have a book about a frontiersman's time in the Judith Basin. It's packed away, but when I find it I will send it to you. Was very interesting.

the book is most likely Andrew Garcia memoir's" tough trip thru paradise," a tale about the end of the buffalo hunting era in central Montana. GREAT READ.
Drove thru the Judith Friday headed to Lewistown ipfor a sales tr , looks better there than south around Big Timber.
When you moving? YOU WILL LIKE LIVING IN PARADISE!

The closing date is on June 22.
We will furnish the house at that time and be living in the Judith Basin sometime in August. The Basin may very well be the best place on Earth for an outdoorsman. Millions of acres of native grasslands nearby. Six mountain ranges surround the Basin, square Butte for a view from the yard. Wolf creek is in the back yard with Roosters.:) and Mallards. Large WMA's close by not to mention several PF properties and projects. Sage Grouse, Huns, Sharptails, Blues and Ruffs all in the grasslands and mountains.

What the heck will I find to pass the time. :confused:
Oh! I can Elk, antelope and deer hunt I guess. :cheers:

I have a book about a frontiersman's time in the Judith Basin. It's packed away, but when I find it I will send it to you. Was very interesting.

Buck have you come across the book yet?
Very much sounds like my type of reading material.
I have read everything I could find on the Rail Road history of the Judith Basin and how just about every town in MT originated with the tracks. Many towns boomed with the RR's then died when the tracks were abandoned.

the book is most likely Andrew Garcia memoir's" tough trip thru paradise," a tale about the end of the buffalo hunting era in central Montana. GREAT READ.
Drove thru the Judith Friday headed to Lewistown ipfor a sales tr , looks better there than south around Big Timber.
When you moving? YOU WILL LIKE LIVING IN PARADISE!

THAT'S IT BY GOLLY! It was a good read. Still in a box after I moved ten years ago.

I'll dig it out. May read it again before I send it to you. I am a Little Bighorn fanatic and have about thirty volumes re it that, Indian related etc.

when you get settled we could schedule a UPH conference for all 5 of us on the board in the center of the state at the Judith basin pizza parlor:cheers: . I think It has 3 tables, and 12 bar stools!

Dustin, good plan, bring the scatter guns and the pups. :thumbsup:
Been a perfect Spring for the birds so far and the cover looks great!

Back