RIP Gus

Brimar1991

Today, my wife and I said goodbye to our Gus at only 12 years old. Cognitive issues were getting worse, and we did not want to see him suffer anymore. Yesterday, we were able to celebrate his birthday and his life before heading to the rainbow bridge. Everyone who has been lucky enough to have a dog in their life has felt the pain of losing their friend. This is not new to anyone. We have said goodbye to 3 other bird dogs over the past 20 years. But this one was a little harder since we lost him so early. The rest of our kids in this line of Brittany’s had long lives passing away at 15 years old. We are heartbroken that Gus did not enjoy his well-earned retirement and enjoy sitting by the fire and watching his younger brother carry the burden in the field.

Gus was a typical meat dog. He did his job and did it well. He always found his birds and he did not seek the spotlight. Gus hunted many years with his older brother Roy, and they were a great duo. When a bird was dropped, Gus was there to retrieve it. But, if his brother was around, Gus would let Roy retrieve the bird. Gus was not there for the glory. He was there to have fun and bring enjoyment to the family.

There are two things that we will remember the most about Gus. The first was his snorting. The first South Dakota wild pheasant that Gus pointed and retrieved; he brought the bird back to us snorting with so much delight. He was so proud of himself. He continued to snort doing circles around us while my wife and I laughed with total enjoyment. Gus continued snorting on all his retrieves until his last bird. We will miss that snorting.

The second was teaching his younger brother, Tapper, to point. I had been working with Tapper on birds for many weeks trying to get him to stop and point. Tapper would catch scent of the quail and run straight for the bird. After many frustrating attempts to get Tapper to point, I remembered something that my old bird dog trainer told me. He said, “a well-bred dog has the instinct to point. Put the pup behind an older dog and let them teach them.” I got Gus out of the truck and let him run with Tapper in the field. Tapper followed Gus and when Gus locked up on a quail, Tapper froze and mimicked Gus. Tapper even raised the same front leg. (See attached picture) I flushed the bird and brought it down. Gus stood back and let Tapper retrieve the bird. I stood there in total disbelief. After that point, Tapper never busted another bird and has become a solid bird dog.

Roy and Tapper are now searching the house and yard for their brother. I don’t know if they understand what has happened. They knew something was wrong with Gus and they gave him space when Gus started pacing the house. But they were always by his side when Gus was sleeping due to the medication.

Rest in peace Gus. You will be forever in our hearts and always on our mind. We cannot thank you enough for all the joy and love you brought to our family.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went” …. Will Rogers.Gus.jpg
Gus and Tapper on point.jpg

Great memories, RIP Gus
Our family over the last Christmas holidays lost two field bred goldens to cancer ten days apart. Sunny was 13.5 yrs and Breezie was only 9 yrs and belonged to my eldest son. A deep hole in our hearts during the holidays. This was my fifth field bred golden and my son's second. New feet are already on the ground. Years of bonding and unconditional love from them, followed by heartache. God bless

Last edited:
I hope his best moments surround you for years to come and you're able to have flashes of him on future hunts.
Mike

RIP Gus, it is never having to make that decision. Thanks for sharing those stories I chuckled when I read about his snorting.

This part always sucks and I too will be experiencing it again in the not too distant future. Sounds like he had a good life.

I think it was the Lakota who said that in ancient times man and animals were being separated by a great divide and at the last moment the dog leaped across to be with us. 300 years latter seems pretty spot on.

Wow what a beautiful dog he was. I'm extremely sorry for your loss. I have lost several Brittanys myself over the years and it never gets any easier. I have one that is 11 now.

Back