Rifle Scopes

I'll second the Talley rings and bases. They've got several styles. All get good reviews on the more dedicated rifle forums. You can call them directly and order. Very helpful people to discuss what mounts for a particular scope on your specific rifle.

Burris signature rings have a plastic sleeve in them that is self aligning to prevent ring marks if you don't want to lap your rings. I think it is the Signature Zee ring that goes in a dual dovetail mount. Dad pretty much uses that setup when he can procur it.

Cameralandny is where I'd be buying vortex optics. Super helpful guys. Tell them you got a recommendation from a former customer and they'll sweeten the deal.

And to hunting with a pre. 64 , hunt it hard. If I wanted an investment I'd buy stocks. Hunt it but don't abuse it.

I aint worth much to me if I don't shoot it. So, I consider that great advice.

I've narrowed it down to three. Vortex Diamondback, Leupold VX-2 and Nikon Buckmaster.

I'll check out the Talley rings and bases. If I go with Leupold, I'll go with their dove tail system.

Bring on Black Friday!

I have the same gun in the same caliber. Mines a bit older 1950-4 (don't recall exactly).

Mine has the original Bausch & Lomb variable scope with original base/mount. I don't know what the mounting system is called but it works with a spring action that locks the scope into sort of an adjustable cradle. To remove the scope you push it forward and the rear end lifts out.

I would keep the original scope if possible or at the least use the original mounts/rings or whatever and keep the gun as close to original as possible. I have never used mine to hunt before but never actually had a chance until this deer season in WI. Was always shotgun only.

My brother used it and i sued an old Swedish Mauser I have in 6.5x55 that I just put a scope on - a Redfield Revolution. I chose this because I had just put a Redfield Revolution on my CZ .204Ruger and love it. The Revoluiton is a 3x9 - good for .270, cost about $250, is made by Leupold in the USA and I think is a great deal. Took a nice buck with it opening morning, in the woods about a 125yd shot and put it spot on with no gun rest.

Having never hunted deer with a scope I was shocked at what I was seeing through the eye piece. One shot deer went about 6 steps and fell into a downed tree head first and broke off three points......

In your price range, here is what you should look for:

1.Leupold VX-2 (VX-2's got upgraded last year, fully equal to older VX-III)
2.Bushnell Elite 4200
3.Nikon Monarch
4.Zeiss Conquest (sometimes on sale for $399)

Scope

I have a VX 2 on my Savage 220 slug gun and I like the combination. Pretty hard to beat the warranty. I ended up with a DNZ one piece mount so I could clear the bolt when ejecting the shells. I looked at a number of scopes, but liked the glass on the Leupold. I went with a 4X fixed power scope and it's rock solid. I had a Leupold with the dovetail mount on a Browning 7mm and geez was that a good mounting system.

It's just darn hard to beat Leupold. A lifetime scope. The quality is second to none. They are to me the front runner in rifle scopes. Have been for many many years. Sort of like Mathews is to bows. Myself, I will never buy anything but. I have tried several others. Leupold as well as Mathews, are my friends to the end.:thumbsup:

VX-III Leopold's are my choice. Swarovski is top notch stuff, Zeiss is good stuff too.

Back