Rifle Scopes

Cobblestone

Not a pheasant related issue but........................

I have a circa 1960 Winchester Model 70 in .270. It desperately needs a new scope. I'm looking for suggestions in the $200-$400 range. Anyone have any ideas?

I appreciate all input!

I have always used and always will use Leupold never had an issue with one not being zeroed when I take the gun out of the safe.

By and large, Leupold is my go to brand. All of mine are VX-II's and VX-III's, haven't stepped up to VX2's and VX3's since they've came out. If you've got an issue with one, they'll correct it. Many of the lower names say they have a lifetime warranty, but that is only good for the lifetime of that company under that particular instance of ownership.

I've also got some of the other scopes in that price point, they haven't failed me, but they aren't as trim and light as a comparable Leupold either.

I use mostly Burris! I just can't afford Leupold. For the money you can find great deals on a full field II 4.5x14 . Vortex is building a reputation fast and Redfield is back now. Get the best you can afford!!! I don't think you can go wrong with any of these in the 250-400 range. Good luck and shoot straight!!:cheers:

Take a look at Vortex as well. Quickly becoming a heavy hitter in the optics world. I just picked up their lightweight small razor 11x33 spotter which is awesome glass. I run the Vipers on my hunting rifles and they are awesome. The best part is 100% lifetime transferable warranty! (no I don't have any stake in this) I have leupolds as well but think you are buying better glass and less name with vortex.

Another vote for Leupold. All three of my rifles have Leupold's. For your .270 I'd recommend a 3-9 variable. You can buy a Leupold VX-2 for around $300. And I also like Leupold's Dual dovetail mounting system. It's rock solid. I have it on both my .270 and also my .338 Win Mag. Never have to make an adjustment.

Thanks for all the input. Can someone educate me on mounts and rings as well. I really don't want anything over the top. Just something solid, dependable and cost efficient. I figured I'd shop Black Friday deals to get the most glass for my buck. It's a sweet old gun and should be treated as such.

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the input. Can someone educate me on mounts and rings as well. I really don't want anything over the top. Just something solid, dependable and cost efficient. I figured I'd shop Black Friday deals to get the most glass for my buck. It's a sweet old gun and should be treated as such.

Thanks again.

Like I said in the post above. I love Leupold's Dual dovetail mounts and rings. It is a very solid mounting system. I understand about saving a buck or two but to it right the first time and you won't regret it. Even if it does cost a few extra bucks.

Like I said in the post above. I love Leupold's Dual dovetail mounts and rings. It is a very solid mounting system. I understand about saving a buck or two but to it right the first time and you won't regret it. Even if it does cost a few extra bucks.

I love Leopold , I own several, Vortext and ziess , sp , the Ziess is Equal to or better than the Leopold, next is the vortext (sp). Only the swarski (sp) is better but they are mega costly. You get what you pay for. Nicon and busnel in your price range are good pics inho. I own a ton of riffles. Vortect is with in you price range and if i was you I'd check them out big time.:cheers:

For your price range you might look at Nikon scopes.

Not a pheasant related issue but........................

I have a circa 1960 Winchester Model 70 in .270. It desperately needs a new scope. I'm looking for suggestions in the $200-$400 range. Anyone have any ideas?

I appreciate all input!

IMO Put that gun away it is worth some $$$ if in good condition. !:eek:
I would get a new rifle which most now shoot MOA @ 100 with adjustable triggers out of the box in a combo deal if your looking to save money.

I love Leopold , I own several, Vortext and ziess , sp , the Ziess is Equal to or better than the Leopold, next is the vortext (sp). Only the swarski (sp) is better but they are mega costly. You get what you pay for. Nicon and busnel in your price range are good pics inho. I own a ton of riffles. Vortect is with in you price range and if i was you I'd check them out big time.:cheers:

Holy Spelling Batman!!! Damn autocorrect!

I second the leupold rings and bases, everything else below this price point can/will move on you eventually

I have a Nikon Prostaff BDC on my .300 RCM and have good luck with it. It's a 3x9x40. Have it set for 200 yards and get good results every time.

Talley scope mounts are top quality. I use their bases and quick detachable rings but don't put the levers on. Use them on every rifle I build.
Talley also makes solid one piece mounts. They have no adjustments and are made out of high grade aluminum. Had a set on a 300 Win Mag and never had an issue. Rock solid.

As for scopes... The Leupold VX-2 3x9 is the way to fly for your price range and rifle caliber. Best scope on the market and what all other scopes are compared to... You can get some good deals on Ebay or through Optics Planet.

I like Leupold too. For a "do it all", utilitarian type scope, it's pretty tough to beat the VX-3 3.5-10X40. But, it doesn't fit your price point.
If you can find a VX-2 3-9x40 or 4-12x40, within your price range, I doubt you'd be disappointed. Good solid scope, good glass but not quite as good as the VX-3.
I will say this though, of the VX-2's I've owned and/or handled, the power adjusting ring is too tight. I'm told that the later models weren't as bad, and I'm pretty sure Leupold would fix you up if need be.
Something else worth mentioning, I really think a Leupold scope looks "at home" on a nice looking classic wood and blued steel rifle. JMO though.

On a strict budget, the Redfield line is worth looking at. Leupold owns Redfield now so you get the same great customer service. I own one and I have no complaints.

Do yourself a favor...look at Midway USA, Graf & Sons, Midsouth Shooters, or wherever they have them in stock, and find some Talley lightweight ring and base combos for that rifle. They're inexpensive, easy to install, lightweight, look nice (to me), and rock solid.
The top ones in this link...
http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/cgi-bin/public_controller.cgi?view=products&category_recnum=6

Good luck!

Leupold, for life and reliability. Very good scopes in that price range. I just scored a vx2 3x9 off craigs, he has a list. 100 bucks. Used, driving tacks and taking deer. I love the small duplex retical.:10sign: GB also has great deals on them now and then.

Leupold, for life and reliability. Very good scopes in that price range. I just scored a vx2 3x9 off craigs, he has a list. 100 bucks. Used, driving tacks and taking deer. I love the small duplex retical.:10sign: GB also has great deals on them now and then.

Thief...

:)

I like Leupold too.
I will say this though, of the VX-2's I've owned and/or handled, the power adjusting ring is too tight. I'm told that the later models weren't as bad, and I'm pretty sure Leupold would fix you up if need be.

I will second this. I have two matching rifles. Both Winchester Model 70 SM (the SM is for Symthetic stock and Matte finish made for only a couple years in the 90's) one in .270 Win and the other .338 Win Mag. Both have the Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts and a Vari-X II 3-9 scope. The power adjustment ring on the .338 Win Mag is a bear to turn, especially in cold weather. The one on the .270 is just fine. Those scopes and mounts are really bullet proof. Even the recoil of the .338 Win Mag can't move 'em.

I'll second the Talley rings and bases. They've got several styles. All get good reviews on the more dedicated rifle forums. You can call them directly and order. Very helpful people to discuss what mounts for a particular scope on your specific rifle.

Burris signature rings have a plastic sleeve in them that is self aligning to prevent ring marks if you don't want to lap your rings. I think it is the Signature Zee ring that goes in a dual dovetail mount. Dad pretty much uses that setup when he can procur it.

Cameralandny is where I'd be buying vortex optics. Super helpful guys. Tell them you got a recommendation from a former customer and they'll sweeten the deal.

And to hunting with a pre. 64 , hunt it hard. If I wanted an investment I'd buy stocks. Hunt it but don't abuse it.

Back