Retrieving Real Birds

Dakotazeb

My 10 month old female Brittany has been a retrieving fool since I got her. Constantly bringing me a ball or something to throw. The breeder said the pups were natural retrievers and I believe that. I've worked with her in the yard, field and water at retrieving a bumper and no problems. I then wrapped pheasant wings around the bumper and no problem. I also throw frozen pigeons for her and she retrieves those. Today I shot a sharptail while she was in the field, actually my other Brit pointed it, but the 10 month old honored the point. Cool! So the bird goes down and runs. My older Brit catches it but she never has retrieved so she drops it. The youngster goes over sniffs it and bites at it a little but would not retrieve it. So later today in the yard I tossed the bumper with wings attached for her and she fetched wvery time, switched to the pigeons and no problem. Then I threw out the grouse I shot and no way woudl she bring it back. I've emailed the breeder for some advice but was wondering it anyone on this site might have some ideas for me. I realize this is the first bird shot over her but I'm concerned. I have one non-retrieving Brit, I don't want another. I undestand that there is "force fetch" and "trained retrieve" but I'm looking for some ideas before resorting to that approach. Thanks.

what i usually do with pen raised chucker or quail is after i shoot them keep one in the freezer and one in the fridge. and start using the thaw one for the retreving. i worked for my gsp with the same problem. it just takes some time with the first bird. patenice is the key with the first time.

gsp,

You are oh so correct. Patience is the key! We forget they are just young dogs and this is a totally new experience. We just want them to do everything correct from the start.

Here's what my breeder said in answer to my email:

Not surprised, retrieving in the yard is not the same as retrieving a shot bird in the field. I know of plenty guys can whack balls on the driving range but can't keep a ball on the fairway to save lives.
I wouldn't worry too much, just keep shooting birds for her, if she does not pick it up don't get upset but walk over and take the bird away, if you let her pull feather off then that's what you are teaching her. give her a chance, she will bring it sooner than later.
How many times did you swing the bat before you got a hit off a pitch?

he's right. you just got to keep working with the dog. maybe not every day, and maybe 30 min to 1 hour every other day. you dont want to overwhelm the dog expecting the dog to do so much the very first time. just keep working at it and in a couple of weeks you'll see a big improvment.

George, I know what happened. I would say when you want her to do the retrieving, keep the other dog away if at all possible. Remember "Jealousy runs deep." I run into this every time I hunt with my son Len and his Brit. She don't retrieve, but runs to the bird and pins it down and pulls feathers. If it is dead she walks away after checking it out and mouthing it. Tony who does retrieve, see her at the bird and leaves it for her to take care of. Even when she leaves it, he won't touch it, her mouthing it, is enough for him to leave it for her. I think that is what happened with your 2. The youngster did not want to challenge the older the dog and left the bird for it to retrieve. You can bet if they are together next time and the young one is in position to get the bird. She will be there first......Bob

Last edited:
BOBEYERITE If you have labs you have the exact opposite problem. You shoot a bird and both dogs want to bring it back. Trying to break one off of the retrieve without being too harsh can be a problem.

I got so spoiled by the male Brittany I had to put down a year ago. Rocky was the best damn retriever I ever had. And I've had Labs and Springers before Britts. He never missed a bird and always got the bird even when hunting around Labs. One time I was hunting with some guys and 4 Labs. We knocked a bird down in some heavy slough grass and the Labs and my Brit took off to get it. I thought this will be interesting to see who comes out with it. Sure enough Rocky had it.

Then I get a female that won't retrieve. Now my new pup won't pick up the first bird. I know, PATIENCE! I'll give her the remainder of the season before passing judgment. With her breeding it shouldn't be an issue but if she doesn't pick it up by the end of the season she will be off to the breeder for training next spring.

George, I just posted a story in "Stories", under the "Lounge Thread." It is called "Fertilizer Spray Tank." Tony went his whole 1st season not retrieving. Then on the last day this story happened. He would just run out and pin them down. So I'd say wait for the season and see if she gets to chase a few cripples and that may turn her on.....Bob

Well guys, I got out grouse hunting again today and managed to bag another one. Kind of a long shot and only winged it. Elle ran it down and with some coaxing did finally bring it to me. Hopefully this is the start of better things to come. She also made a nice point on a rooster pheasant that I had to watch fly away. I snapped a quick pic with my cell phone of her bringing back the grouse that I've posted below. Not the prettiest retrieve in the world, but for now I'll take it.

View attachment 583

Last edited:
I love it George, it look as if she is carrying it by the wing. As you say how cares she is doing it......Bob

I agree with the thoughts about the other dog in the field being a negative influence. Hunt her by herself for awhile and when she is retrieving well see what happens when you get them together. Good whoa training on both dogs should get them to the point where you can get the dogs to retrieve their own pointed birds.
________
Subaru forester

Last edited:
Well guys, I got out grouse hunting again today and managed to bag another one. Kind of a long shot and only winged it. Elle ran it down and with some coaxing did finally bring it to me. Hopefully this is the start of better things to come. She also made a nice point on a rooster pheasant that I had to watch fly away. I snapped a quick pic with my cell phone of her bringing back the grouse that I've posted below. Not the prettiest retrieve in the world, but for now I'll take it.

View attachment 583

Hang in there Zeb she'll start doing better, good picture of her first retrieve

Hang in there Zeb she'll start doing better

I was out yesterday and got my limit (3) of grouse. With some coaxing she picked up and brought all three to within 6 feet of me. So we are making some progress.

Great, that is good to hear Zeb, I like it when a young pup like yours starts to catch on.....Bob

I think she'll get there. I just have to have patience. She isn't finding many birds yet but I can tell she is getting scent, just doesn't know what to do with it. My 6 year old pointed all the birds but Elle does a great job of honoring Mattie's points. Never had a dog before that would "back" and she does it naturally without any training. I had a chance to take picture of her backing Mattie and didn't take it. Kicked myself afterwards.

Stay with it Zeb, The opportunity will come again. Don't you love it when natural ability Takes over and you don't have to teach it. Tony was a natural backer, a lot of what he does I never taught him. He just does it.......Bob

Back