Reports

JP doesn't find de skunking amusing. Funny, neither do I.:(

Neither did Morgan when I had to do it at 4:30 in the morning. It's funny but I didn't think it smelled like skunk until some time had passed and it had a chance to oxidize I guess.

After two applications of the peroxide/ baking soda/ dish soap remedy JP smells a little better but still no where near being able to be let in the house. We'll give it another go tomorrow, poor dog has to stay in the garage tonight.

I was lucky because she did it at home so everything was here. I did two apps. of the same solution you used but she still had places that smelled. The next morning I used tomato juice twice but that didn't seem to help much so I did another double dose of the first concoction. That pretty much fixed it but for a month later there was a dime sized place on her head that still had some stink. You can't apply that baking soda/peroxide too often if the smell persists.

Sacramento Wildlife area is bad, but close and easy. Back in the early 90's you could drive in a ways, in fact once I drove in there and came out in Woodland. That was a fun day. Where is yolo at? I went to one outside Woodland last year, that may have been it. Id be happy to hook up with anyone for a day hunt.

Here is yolo:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region3/yolo/

I haven't gone yet. It's outside of Davis/Sacramento. Being able to get in easily depends on if the ducks have made their way down. I spoke with DFG there and they said it will get real busy once all the duck hunters show up. Was supposed to go last weekend but we drew Sacramento NWR and my hunting buddies wanted to make a go at some ducks. I am planning on bringing my 8 year old daughter up there or Grizzly next Saturday for a little introduction hunt.

Sacramento Wildlife area is bad, but close and easy. Back in the early 90's you could drive in a ways, in fact once I drove in there and came out in Woodland.

Yolo might be the one you're referring to. It's a long way from Sacramento NWR (near the town of Maxwell) to Woodland.

Yes calamari that's the one. it's scary parking your vehicle and leaving it there plus there is so much trash I worry about the dogs cutting their feet. back when I did that it was in the 90s you used to be able to drive down for South Road to the bypass area. I just kept following roads and I popped out I think at Road 102 in Woodland. I went there once last year about three weeks into the season. We saw two hensthat was it. I've got another decent story about that place I'll post in a while. Two GSP pups saved me from a few days of misery.

It used to be a good place to launch a boat to hunt ducks in the By-Pass when it flooded. Now that Angelo Tsakapoulous owns the Connaway Ranch in the By-pass he'll probably have roving lawyers out there to intimidate you with the threat of a law suit. They've gated the south road off short of where you can get down to the water level with a boat trailer so unless you carry a boat down the bank you really can't do it anymore.

Last edited:
Back