Reports

Great write up! Goes great with the picture. Glad to see you had luck and glad to see Jp rewarded after a tough hunt.

Went out to Los Banos today and though it still got warm on us it was considerably better than wednesday and my pants even got a bit wet early on. We moved 2 hens, a rooster, and one bird who got up in range but we could not clearly identify because of the sun. We hunted some great looking cover and probably could've bagged a rooster if we had been paying closer attention to Buddy. We we're checked by dfg (they were shocked that I only carry six shells in the field) and they thanked us for being on the up and up. We talked for a while to another guy who was running two gsp's that said he and his dogs flushed 5 roosters and two hens and he connected on a bird that his dogs couldn't come up with. Reports are getting a little better around here.

I forgot to mention that even though we are very familiar with LB we decided to hunt out of a new parking lot so we weren't familiar with the cover we hunted today but we found some very nice fields.

Last edited:
I might try down there. I've heard good things. It's deciding what weekend to go where. And if the long drive is worth it. Anyone ever hunt Sacramento wildlife?

I've always wanted to hunt Sac, just never made it. If Yolo or Sac are as close to you as LB I wouldn't head south but thats just me. If you do come down this way let me know and I'll either try to meet up with you for a hunt or give you the scoop on what I know.

We probably saw as many birds at Yolo the half day we hunted there (dog injury cut it short) than we did the rest of the season hunting down here last year.

Ah, the joys of hunting with long haired dogs.:thumbsup: I'm convinced JP runs through cockle burrs on purpose.:D

20141115_153504_zps90c956f5.jpg

Ah, the joys of hunting with long haired dogs.

I've dealt with that with my English setter for a decade. If you take a small pair of pliers, like the ones on a Leatherman, and pinch the burrs to make them almost flat, they can be combed out.

You need a strong comb, though. I use the ones with steel teeth and wooden handles.

It's a great deal of work no matter how you go about it, but I just don't like cutting hair.

Another thing you can do is spray the coat with Pam (the cooking stuff) if you know you'll be hunting in burrs. It does keep things from sticking.

I'll have to give that a try. I usually pick them out by hand but he had so many today I decided to get out the scissors. Poor guy looks like a blind man gave him a trim.:D

I hunted a wildlife area in the north valley this weekend for 0. They shot 17 on the opener, 2 on the second day, didn't open on Monday and shot 2 the first Wed. They shot 3 yesterday and 0 today when I left at 1 PM. I saw one bird free flying Sat. eve. from a closed area to a closed area. The dove hunting has been the best thing happening there.

I ran into some burrs in MT this year that at first glance looked like Cockle Burrs but were closer to a combination of Cockle Burr and cactus. Morgan is a yellow Lab and she had them stuck to the end of her tail in a clump the size of a small grape fruit. Cockle burrs don't stick to her but those things were tenacious. It could be worse than what we have out here.

Last edited:
Hunted the cleanup at Grizzly today. Flushed 9 birds. Most bumped by our young dogs. We got shots on at least 6 of them. We each knocked down one. Should have had at least a couple more but I made some rookie mistakes and a few bad shots. Had a great day and it wasn't any where near busy. I tried to upload a picture but haven't figured it out yet. Plus it's not a wild bird so it's not as cool! We're determined to get some wild ones.

Come on man, we want pics!:D Use Photobucket and copy and paste the the "img" link and your photo will magically appear.:cheers:

Molly on top and The two youngins on a brief field water/picture break! I forgot to pose them with the birds before we left.

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you had some success, stay after it and it will get easier.:cheers:

Nice looking dogs btw.:thumbsup:

Back