Relocation opportunity

Daughter just moved to Denver from Nashville. The mrs has approved a relocation closer to the princess. I'm thinking pierre or yankton. Two requirements are closer to good bird hunting and fishing. I have upland/waterfowl hunted in the dakotas, Montana, Kansas, Nebraska and Utah... I am currently 2 hours SE of st louis in southern Illinois.
Any suggestions as a location or state?

Thx
Illinois.

Fishing is far superior in Pierre than Yankton. Bird hunting, as long as you're in the eastern 2/3 of the state you should be within an hour or less of good numbers in either town.

Pierre, hands down. Yankton is a nice town, but the fishing does not come close to what you will find further upriver.

Or Chamberlain, midway between the two. Easy to get to birds, and the water is smaller to navigate if you have a boat. Easy drive to Pierre if you want bigger water and fish.

Pierre is birdier

Nebraska has some of the finest fishing around. McCook area and north and east of there has some terrific lakes. Al Linder did a fishing show at Red Willow. I lived in Kansas but did most of my fishing at Red Willow. Harlan Lake has great fishing and 15,000 acres of public hunting. More turkeys than in Kansas as well. Kansas is over ran with pressure. I have one more year of teaching then retirement. It is going to be Nebraska or Iowa for me. Cost of living seems to be less in those 2 states as well versus Kansas. My daughter lives in Iowa and I like everything it has to offer as far a hunting, fishing, and just living.

I grew up and still have family in Yankton and its a great town, but I agree with others that if you are looking for fishing and bird hunting opportunities that Pierre is a better option.

Nebraska has some of the finest fishing around. McCook area and north and east of there has some terrific lakes. Al Linder did a fishing show at Red Willow. I lived in Kansas but did most of my fishing at Red Willow. Harlan Lake has great fishing and 15,000 acres of public hunting. More turkeys than in Kansas as well. Kansas is over ran with pressure. I have one more year of teaching then retirement. It is going to be Nebraska or Iowa for me. Cost of living seems to be less in those 2 states as well versus Kansas. My daughter lives in Iowa and I like everything it has to offer as far a hunting, fishing, and just living.
I disagree with more turkeys, depending location but I’m sure could be said about Nebby

Sounds like pierre, chamberlin and yankton for south dakota.

Mccook for nebraska.

Or the Hays area...

I have hunted pierre, mccook and north/south of hays...

Ideally desiring a 1500' square ft house with attached garage, minimum of 1 acre and probably build another garage/pole barn for the boat and dog kennels..I have 3 setters..and a wife..in that order...lol

What location might have reasonable housing prices? I am a retired wildlife biologist...

Attachments

• 20210726_223229.jpg
    20210726_223229.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Pierre hands down. NE and KS. are poor upland choices, fishing not much either.
NE and KS you will pay state income tax, bad deal!

When I hear fishing , I assume trout and flies. No one mentioned that as an option? That said bird hunting is better closer to warm water fishing generally I would think . Dakotas for sure!

Not sure your definition of affordable but from what I’ve seen that has changed in the last 12 months as prices up everywhere. Get on Trulia or a site like that with map function and start checking. May get you to an area that you can then focus on.

There's another good thread in this forum for a retiree that chose Chamberlain over Pierre. Housing was way higher in Pierre and you'd couldn't get anything reasonably priced anywhere near the river. Even in drought years there are always good bird numbers right up against the river. You'll find lots of outfitters there for good reason.

Back